13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 9:25 PM by LaRetta

Value List Repeated Names

MarkNZ

Hi All,

Can you help...I have created a value list to show First Names. As records are created the list is added too. I use the value list in FIND mode only, however when I have 2 records with the same first name only one shows in the value list to select.

How can I have the value list show for example 2 John ( 1 x John Smith & I x John Maxwell ). PS: I sort by first name & show last name when viewing...

Is there also a way to have the field find the request as soon as the name has been selected from the value list..without having to click outside the field with the mouse and then push the Enter key.. Can I search simply by dropping the name in.

Your thoughts appreciated.

• 1. Re: Value List Repeated Names
          Padster

Hi Mark,

In regards to the 'as soon as', have you looked at the Object Trigger 'OnModify'. For a Dropdown list, this should perform this action. The trigger would call a Commit script.

In regards to showing the duplicate Name, have you consider using a Pop-Up Menu, that way you could use an ID for the name, that then shows FistName & Lastname. The Value List on Name removes the Duplicate of 'John' as it sees thenm as the same, as last name is not part of the list.

Pad

• 2. Re: Value List Repeated Names
            MarkNZ

Hi Padster, thanks for your comments.

Could you clarify a little on "Pop-Up with ID for name" Is there an advantage using popup vrs dropdown.. and do i go into the Value list dialog options (screens) to select the ID as the first option? or is this done somewhere else.

Where you suggest FirstName & Last Name, could I just use Full Name Field.

Commit script..where do find this command? to connect to the modify trigger..

Im a bit green sorry..

• 3. Re: Value List Repeated Names
              Padster

Hi Mark,

In regards to you list, how many names are you expecting to have, and increase by? If you are expect a lot, then really a drop down list is better, as it allows the user to start typing to find the record, rather then scrolling and searching.

When you create a Value list, you have the option to select two fields, if you want the list to show the duplicates, then you should select the ID of the record as the first column, and then the Fullname as the second column. Then, at the bottom, you have a check box for, show second column only. This then means you can show duplicates, as the ID will not match.

For the Commit, create yourself a script, to which the only action is 'Commit Record [No dialog]'. Then, this script is what you call on the 'OnObjectModify' trigger.

Hope this helps,

Pad

• 4. Re: Value List Repeated Names
                MarkNZ

Hi again im struggling a little so bare with me..

I tried the value list idea, but it will not work on the First name Field as the particulars in the Value list are Full name... so is it your understanding this would only work in the Full name field on the layout.

If so, that being the case I could have a standard value list not needing the ID criterier as one of the options...

What am I doing wrong..

Thanks for your help..

• 5. Re: Value List Repeated Names
                  Padster

Hi Mark,

I'd like to make sure that I understand what it is that you actually want to achieve with. I have put together something extremely basic which will return what I thin that you want...

Please advise, is this what you are actually trying to achieve? Left being the prioblem, right being the solution?

Regards,

Patrick

ValueLists.jpg

• 6. Re: Value List Repeated Names
                    Padster

Or, is it this...?

ValueLists v2.jpg

• 7. Re: Value List Repeated Names
                      MichaelManousos

The difference between pop up and drop down is that when you enter an id in a popup it displays the second field only as soon as you pick a record.

Meaning you have a value list as drop down in order to retrieve data from the first field (the key id) and show only data from the second field that you have a new field in your database with a simple calculation (full name=lastname & firstname) then when you click on the field it will only show the full name but as soon as you pick the contact the field will just show the key id not the fullname thats why we prefer a pop up menu because it will show the full name

• 8. Re: Value List Repeated Names

Mark said, "Can you help...I have created a value list to show First Names. ... however when I have 2 records with the same first name only one shows in the value list to select.

How can I have the value list show for example 2 John ( 1 x John Smith & I x John Maxwell ). "

Why not have your stacked search field as regular edit box so users can type in 'Jo' and get multiple results?  Set to enter in find only. 

• 9. Re: Value List Repeated Names

I don't quite get the problem with the value list anyway Mark ... If the value list is based on first name and just shows John then both Johns will be found.  If you want to differentiate the two Johns in the value list then you need to use a field with an identifier for the description.  I usually create a calc concatenating name and phone and use that as the second VL field so one John can be identified differently than the other in the list.

• 10. Re: Value List Repeated Names
                            MarkNZ

Hi again thanks for clarification...

Yes you are correct as long as the righthand value list is attatched to a first name field. and when selected it drops only the first name into the first name field.

I have dupicated the first name field, stacked it ontop of the existing field and attached the value list to it..making the value list avaliable only in Find Mode.

cheers

• 11. Re: Value List Repeated Names
                              MarkNZ

Thanks Michael, Thanks for the clarifiactionalso.... I will try this also to improve my understanding...cheers

• 12. Re: Value List Repeated Names
                                MarkNZ

Hi LaRetta, I lways enjoy hearing from you.. The only issue with this idea is that as you say..both "Johns will show up" but you then have to carry out an additional step to search the "2 Johns" to find the one you want. Either by list view or the Book

Other than that its an option..

"LaRetta said"  I usually create a calc concatenating name and phone and use that as the second VL field so one John can be identified differently than the other in the list

Is your first VL field = First Name... using this method? & wouldnt the value list still only show" 1 x John" not 2 as the ID is the First Name field.

I know its me not quite getting it..but Im sure i will

Regards

• 13. Re: Value List Repeated Names

I do not understand your request.  If you have a value list based on first name, you can include their phone (for example) as the 'also show' second field.  Show both in the pop-up.  It is clear which John is which.

Concatenation would be used if you were using an ID for the left pane and wanted to only display the right pane but need them to display (for example) Name & " " & Phone so uniqueness is clear. :-)

1 of 1 people found this helpful