6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 1:02 PM by capt-jb

Filemaker Help

capt-jb

Hi,

I am a freak of somethings but not computers, even if I use them frequently. So, sometime I am working on Filemaker and want to read about a point that is difficult to me.. Sadly I cannot because I am not connected to the Web..!!!

How is it possible to download Filemaker Pro 12 Help, in order to consult without the ned of a connection..!???

Thanks a lot for any trick.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Help
          Malcolm

How is it possible to download Filemaker Pro 12 Help, in order to consult without the ned of a connection..!???

The help is built in to the application, it shouldn't require a web connection.

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Filemaker Help
            DrewTenenholz

Capt. JB --

Malcolm is right in that the help files are installed as part of the FM12 installer, so you shouldn't NEED an internet connection, and FM12 should be able to know this as send you to the local copy of the help when you are not connected.  But...let's say it isn't.

1) Try quitting FMPro and restarting the application and then going to the help.  Maybe when you launched FMPro you were connected to the internet, and FM cached a reference for the web version and it won't drop that reference until you quit.  This would be pretty simple, and I hope it works.

2) On my Mac, I added a bookmark to FireFox for the location below

file: ///Applications/FileMaker%20Pro%2012%20Advanced/FileMaker%20Pro%20Advanced.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/FileMaker%20Pro%20Help/index.html

(I added a space between the file:  and the first slash so that web crossing doesn't munge the URL.  (read the %20 as a space character as well)

I do this because I don't really like the built-in Mac help system.

You should be able to find a similar folder path on a Windows machine.

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 3. Re: Filemaker Help
              nickchapin

I've been using/programming FileMaker since the dawn of time (well, at least since FileMaker II) and I still need to look things up on occasion. (Actually, the older I get the *more* I need to look them up!) Books are, in my opinion, significantly quicker. I recommend the latest rev of Love, Bowers, et al reference, FileMaker 12 Developer Reference. Check Amazon.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Help
                flybynight

I consult the FMP help a lot too. I find it very quick to look up script steps and calc functions that I have questions on. It is sometimes annoying that the Mac Help window is always on top.

I was actually wondering if it is possible to save the help files onto an iPad for off-line viewing when I'm not around wifi. Obviously, we know where the files live… but anyone know how I can get those files onto the iPad for easy viewing? Would Dropbox be a good solution, or is there something better for viewing local html files?

• 5. Re: Filemaker Help
                  Stephen Huston

If there are specific sections of the FM Help file which you consult regularly, the little gear-icon offers a print option, which I have used to save a PDF of the section. You can combine PDFs, or just load them up on an iDevice or other portable to reference when needed.

It seems to me that some (many) versions back, we could generate a full print-to-PDF of the FM Help file, but I don't see such an option in the latest versions.

There are also some excellent 3rd-party references, such as FileMaker 12 Developer Reference (from Que publishing) which offers an iBook edition for quick reference.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Help
                    capt-jb

NIce tip Nick

Thank a lot.

Helicophoto

helicophoto@gmail.com

El 28 ene 2013, a las 22:06 , Nick Chapin escribió:

created by Nick Chapin in General - View the full discussion

I've been using/programming FileMaker since the dawn of time (well, at least since FileMaker II) and I still need to look things up on occasion. (Actually, the older I get the more I need to look them up!) Books are, in my opinion, significantly quicker. I recommend the latest rev of Love, Bowers, et al reference, FileMaker 12 Developer Reference. Check Amazon.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in General by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2013 • San Diego, California • August 12-15 • www.filemaker.com/devcon