5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2013 7:49 PM by fmpros

SQL quandry...

fmpros

OK, I give up.... this is probably something stupid but...

Here's my SQL: ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT REPORTS_TIME + ' / ' + REPORTS_SITE + ' / ' + REPORTS_TITLE + ' / ' + REPORTS_PATIENT_NAMESTYLE_FML_CALC FROM REPORTS WHERE REPORTS_DATE = ? AND REPORTS_SITE IN ( ? )" ; "" ; "" ; $dateSelected ; allowedSitesList )

I've dissected this every which way and all vars evaluate properly and the "IN" statement is properly formatted, i.e., ( 'site a', 'site b', etc ).

I get null back with this syntax BUT if I say "NOT IN" it returns a list to me. But just the full list, I can't drop a list value out and get a change (what I would expect)... the "IN" is evaluating as if it's NULL.

But I KNOW the site names in the table exactly equal the values in the "IN" list. I've evaluated the ExecuteSQL as a text string with a substitute and it is formatting properly.

Any thoughts...

Thanks,

William

• 1. Re: SQL quandry...
          taylorsharpe

What is the value of the allowedSiteList variable?  Formatting is important in these lists. 

• 2. Re: SQL quandry...
            BruceHerbach

Is. AllowedSitesIn a field or a variable?  If its a variable the $ is missing, if its a field then it probably needs a fully qualified field name.

If you have advanced you should be able to check the value in the data viewer.

Bruce

• 3. Re: SQL quandry...
              fmpros

Thanks,

The allowedSitesList is generated in the same LET calc as the main ExecuteSQL.  It's an ExecuteSQL that grabs a RETURN delimited list of allowed sites that is then parsed to an "IN" list format:

Let (

[

allowedSitesList = ExecuteSQL...etc

Then the main query and so on

];

returnVal

)

Site A

Site B

Site C

to

'Site A', 'Site B', 'Site C' and so on. So the "IN" list evaluates in the SQL as ... REPORTS_SITE IN ( 'Site A', 'Site B', 'Site C' ... etc )

I've tested this in the Data Viewer and it all seems to evaluate properly.

It's gotta be in the evaluation of the allowedSitesList parameter to the "?" in the SQL statement; the results suggest that nothing is there, hence a full list returned if "NOT IN".

But I can't see any syntax error.  Pieced out in the Data Viewer everything evaluates properly.

William

• 4. Re: SQL quandry...
                user10625

You have to do like this:

ExecuteSQL ( "SELECT REPORTS_TIME + '  /  ' + REPORTS_SITE + '  /  ' + REPORTS_TITLE + '  /  ' + REPORTS_PATIENT_NAMESTYLE_FML_CALC FROM REPORTS WHERE REPORTS_DATE = ? AND REPORTS_SITE IN ( "  & allowedSitesList  &   " )" ; "" ; "" ; $dateSelected )

For whatever reason, FMP doesn't like the IN lists in a ?  clause.

Christopher Bailey

Baytaflow

Boston, MA

• 5. Re: SQL quandry...
                  fmpros

PERFECT!

That was it.  Thank you Christopher, did not think of putting it inline.

Thanks everyone.

William