10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 12:50 PM by Lemmtech

Developing Live

AmyS

Oh the dreaded two words....developing live.

Here is my predictament. I am developing a database that is being used in an office enviroment for their data and they are being my beta Company A. We are daily working on the solution but now another co wants to be my my beta and be using the database. I set them up on Friday at a critical point thinking they probably dont need most of the new features I am adding anyway. Well now the weekend has passed and we did a lot of changes to the original main beta that are not on the second Company B that are really cool. What is the solution for updating a solution for companies using my database both from a development standpoint and a end-user content delivery standpoint? Any links, whitepapes, plug-i suggestions, or durect feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Developing Live
          AmyS

I do have Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced but really don't want o cut and paste the amount of layouts added, scripts added, cusgom functions added, and recreate relationships. Any OTHER ways to accomplish, please reply. Any best practices on the problem in general, please reply. Thanks.

• 2. Re: Developing Live
            RonSmithMD

RefreshFM is what I use.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 3. Re: Developing Live
              Mike_Mitchell

Amy -

Another option is to complete your development and testing in a development environment, then import the live data into the copy and replace the production database with the new version. It does require an outage of the production database, long enough to do the data migration, but it avoids monkeying with the production system, which is risky with regard to putting untested changes into a production environment and can result in damage to the database in certain circumstances.

HTH

Mike

Edit - This is what RefreshFM does, to which Dr. Ron refers - it automates the data migration process.

• 4. Re: Developing Live
                AmyS

Yes, I have looked in to that product. Do I really NEED fmrefresh right away in order to import their data on my newer version effectively or can I wait and get it in a few months knowing the first few imports may take me longer but it can still be done okay?

• 5. Re: Developing Live
                  Mike_Mitchell

No, you don't absolutely need RefreshFM. It will make your life considerably easier, but you can live without it.

• 6. Re: Developing Live
                    Malcolm

Yes, I have looked in to that product. Do I really NEED fmrefresh right away in order to import their data on my newer version effectively or can I wait and get it in a few months knowing the first few imports may take me longer but it can still be done okay?

You don't need it straight away. In fact, you don't want to use fmrefresh until you have finished development. FmRefresh can require a considerable amount of configuration, especially if you are making a lot of changes under the hood.. Each time you change the original or the development copy you will have to configure fmrefresh.

malcolm

• 7. Re: Developing Live
                      Lemmtech

This continues to be a MAJOR shortcoming of FileMaker that I face constantly either you recreate all the changes using copy and paste (which I usually do) or you clone your system and import the data from the other copy. Both options have their set of challanges and I hope this limiation gets addressed by FMI very soon as it really starts to hamper ongoing development.

• 8. Re: Developing Live
                        Hudi

Hey Amy,

I am doing the same thing right now.

If you don't want to be like me a few months ago and import table by table, take the time to write a script that does it for you.

I finally took the time to write it for about 30 tables, well worth it.

Its pretty simple:

Go to Layout

Show all records

Delete all records

Import records

I pull down a copy of the live database, execute this script on the newest dev version and then upload it to the server.

Jm2c

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Developing Live
                          Stephen Huston

Consider adding your new features in an separate Interface file using the Separation Model for data and interface. You can then simply replace the interface file at any time to have the update.

The Separation Model which gained popularity with version 7 of FMP has made this kind of updating a breeze for those of us who use it.

There are some white papers which discuss the Separation Model and data-models in general if this idea is new to you. You can even tack a new interface file onto an existing FM file system for adding new functionality.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Developing Live
                            Lemmtech

I do wish this sort of thing was built in somehow and you weren't forced into an elaborate work around which is what SM seems to be to me but I know many poeple are quite happy with this approach.