11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 1:24 AM by RayCologon

How do I design a layout with two portals?

kkilgall

I have three tables: Contacts, Accounts and Events.

I would like to create a layout where for an event with a portal within in which I can associate one or more contacts and another portal in which I can associate one or more accounts.

I can get the Accounts portal to work fine but I can't get the contacts (participants) portal to work properly. I can't even get anything to show in the drop down.

The contact data I'm trying to list in the portal is External_Reference which is a caluation in the Contacts table made up of a concatenation of last and first names and account. The Relationship picture below shows me linking to the ContactID field but that was during a temporary experiemnt of mine. The result is the same.

I don't want the two portals to be dependant on each other.

Why is one working but not the other??????

I've included some screenshots below. Any guidance would be appreciated. I would not be surprised if I've gotten lost in the parent/child or some many-to-many nexus.

• 1. Re: How do I design a layout with two portals?
          MattLeach

it appears that your attached images are not working.

• 2. Re: How do I design a layout with two portals?
            keywords

There are no screenshots attached, but at a guess I would suggest the following checks:

1.     Check the relationship to the Contacts file to make sure it is correctly established

2.     Check the context of the layout on which you have the two portals; you may find that from this context the Accounts relationship is OK but the Contacts one is not

3.     Don't forget the fields you want to list in the portal are not the same as the fields you use to establish the relationship; once it is set up properly you can display any fields from the related table

See where that gets you!

• 3. Re: How do I design a layout with two portals?
              stratlake

I would agree with keywords.

Either you haven't defined the relationship between Contacts and Events properly, or the fields in your Contacts portal are not correct.

Let us know if either of these solutions solve the issue.

• 4. Re: How do I design a layout with two portals?
                rodmastar

4me,  make certain the layout that has these 2 different portal    that are of each other already discussed related,, ..   make certain the layout is of a different file than the files used in portal...

• 5. Re: How do I design a layout with two portals?
                  LyndsayHowarth

Have you looked at your permissions.

If the portal data is to show you must have permission as the logged on user inside the other database or you need to masquarade as someone who does.

- Lyndsay

• 6. Re: How do I design a layout with two portals?
                    kkilgall

Here are the screen shots I mentioned in the first post...

Also, this is a general reply to everyone who posted, which I greatly appreciate.

I don't believe permissions/users is an issue since I am on one machine as one user.

Relationships  (I don't see why these would cause an issue)

Relationships.jpg

Layout (Edit) - Even though the pkContactID is not the Contact field I want showing in the end, I am trying to just get this appearing correctly to convince myself it isn't my choice of fields that is at issue.  The settings in both portals and for the respective drop down boxes in each are the same.

layout design.jpg

Layout (View) - The dropdown in the Accounts portal is working great, but I see nothing in the Participants (contacts) portal.

Layout View.jpg

• 7. Re: How do I design a layout with two portals?
                      rodmastar

Layout.  That has 2 portals in it.  What file is it referringtoo?. Hopefully Not the files your puttin in portals

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: How do I design a layout with two portals?
                        kkilgall

Rod,

All of the reference tables/fields are in a single database file.

All others, I get the same results with the participant portal even with the Account portal removed so this really isn't an issue of two portals.

• 10. Re: How do I design a layout with two portals?
                          keywords

Based on what you show here I think you need to review the relationships. It appears that the relationship between Contacts and Events is many to many, and this needs to be resolved if I assume correctly that an event can have many participants. If you create a join table and use that in your participants portal it should work.

• 11. Re: How do I design a layout with two portals?
                            RayCologon

Hi kkilgall,

It appears that you want a Contacts portal based on a relationship between the Events::Event_Participants field and the Contacts::_pkContactID field to appear on a layout which is based on the Events table occurence.

However the Contacts table occurrence is not presently related to the context of your layout via the Event_Participants field, which is why you aren't seeing the results want in the portal. Rather than a second instance of the Events table (the Events 2 TO in your current graph), you might consider creating a second occurrence of the Contacts table, and basing your portal on it instead.

If you set up your Relationships Graph along the lines shown in the attached image, then place portals on the Events layout that are based on the Accounts and ContactPortal table occurrences (making sure to also source the fields in the portal from those respective TOs), it should work the way you've indicated you require.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

Email: cologon@nightwingenterprises.com

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------

EventsRG.png