11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 2:34 PM by MarkNZ

Note Field Behavior

MarkNZ

Hi Team,

What would be the best way to have a note field become unmodifiable after the note has been entered ( to avoid someone changing the note)

The thing is I am using a portal to create notes from a NOTES Table. If I use a exit field trigger will this cause issues when trying to create a new note? Due to it being in a portal.

I have a user account field to identify the person adding the note, but would like the above to happen alsp as additional security.. your thoughts

• 1. Re: Note Field Behavior
          MattLeach

I came across this same issue when i designed a client database for my employer.

What i ended up doing was creating 2 fields, one for note entry and one for view only.

I created a layout for note entry with a save button. When clicked, the save button would initilize a script that would take the contents of the note entry field and copy it to the view only field. I also used this opportunity to add the user, date and time to the beginning to the note. I had the view only field in the portal view and setup security so that the field was in fact view only.

Hope that makes sense.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Note Field Behavior
            keywords

Why don't you record the identity of the user who created the note and then allow only that user to edit the note?

• 3. Re: Note Field Behavior
              keywords

Further to mine and Matt's posts, the second field need only be a calc displaying the first field for this to work. Your checking script could then work as If ( User Created record ; >> go to field 1 (the editable field) ; otherwise go to field 2 (the calc field) ).

• 4. Re: Note Field Behavior
                AlanStirling

Hi Mark

Here is a completely different approach ...

Set the privileges of the table used in the portal to allow creation of records, but not to allow editing. 

This can be accomplished in the 'Manage Security' dialog box, look for 'Privileges Sets'. Choose the Privilege set for the users that you want to control.

Under 'Edit Privilege Set', in the area headed 'Data Access and Design', in the menu next to 'Records', select 'Custom Privileges'.

It is here that you can set 'Edit' = 'No' and 'Create' = 'Yes' against the specific table used in the portal.

Now your users can generate new records in the portal, but only edit any specific record until FileMaker is closed. 

From then on all records are locked, except new records added in the current session.

This has the advantage of needing no management, once set.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 5. Re: Note Field Behavior
                  MarkNZ

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your alternitive suggestion..

I tried it but I can still edit the subject note after its aready been populated..here are some snaps, can you see whats not right..  CMN Communication is the Line in the middle pic.

Many ThanksSettings.JPGsettings1.JPGsettings2.JPG

• 6. Re: Note Field Behavior
                    MarkNZ

Thanks Matt..I will be looking into this..see comment with pics at bottom to give you a bit more of an idea what im trying to do. Im trying to achieve this the most simplist way..cheers

• 7. Re: Note Field Behavior
                      MarkNZ

Thanks Keywords,

I see what you mean, thanks for your input..

• 8. Re: Note Field Behavior
                        AlanStirling

Hi Mark

My suggestion only works to lock the records once you close the file.

So just quit FileMaker and when you reopen it, see if you can change any of the entries.

Alan Stirling Technology Ltd, 135 Lisson Grove, London NW1 6UP

+44 (0) 20 7724 2456 - alan@ast.fm - www.ast.fm.

FileMaker Certified Developer for versions 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.

• 9. Re: Note Field Behavior
                          MarkNZ

Hi Alan..yes you are right....I can enter the field and the field hilights as so you can entre data, but as soon as you try a warning dialog shows and states "you do not have access to perform this action"

If the file is open on a server 24/7 does this work? or Is it sufficent for a account user log off and on for it to work...your thoughts..

• 10. Re: Note Field Behavior
                            AlanStirling

Hi Mark

I have done this before, so I would expect it to work.

You didn't show the column headings on the third screen shot, so please check that for the table in the portal, you have set Create = Yes, Edit = No.

So for each user, all the records should be locked once the user has closed the file. In other words, on opening the file all previously entered records will be locked for all users.

Alan Stirling Technology Ltd, 135 Lisson Grove, London NW1 6UP

+44 (0) 20 7724 2456 - alan@ast.fm - www.ast.fm.

FileMaker Certified Developer for versions 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.

• 11. Re: Note Field Behavior
                              MarkNZ

Yes all working as I tried it on another PC

Cheers