2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 10:13 AM by nickchapin

Executing a scripttrigger via a relationship

k.hoornweg

Is there a way to execute a scripttrigger on a specific field via a relationship?

Let me explain.

I have a table A and a table B. Both tables are related by field id_customer.

In table A i have a field called DATE and on that field i have a scripttrigger that executes after modification of the field. However if i change this field via table B , the scripttrigger doesn't work.

Is there a way to solve that?

• 1. Re: Executing a scripttrigger via a relationship
          ariley

Script trigger can be executed on any field on a layout. Test it with the debugger and see if you're sending the right parameters. 

And which trigger are you talking about? In some cases you need two triggers for one action: one to store the current contents of the field and one to do what you ant to do. 

Best regards,

agnes b. riley

filemaker and web development

zeroblue

TWO-TIME MAD DOG AWARD WINNER

FileMaker Certified in 10 and 11

Member, FileMaker Business Alliance

T: 877 917-9079 . C: 917-660-7221

• 2. Re: Executing a scripttrigger via a relationship
            nickchapin

Script triggers are invoked by direct operations only. Clicking in/out of a field is a direct operation. Changing a field's contents via a script or calculation via relationship is an indirect operation; therefore script triggers are not executed. (Neither are they executed when performing bulk operations - Import, Replace, Relookup, and in most cases, spell-check operations.)

Agnes is correct in that the field must reside on a layout and that field must be directly operated upon for the trigger to execute. Perhaps you could give us a few specifics on exactly how you're trying to trigger the script; is it when you are actually in the related field? Is it via a calc? Via another script?