3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 3:39 AM by RayCologon

Will filemaker work for me ?

blair

Hello forum,

Just wondering if anyone can give some good advice. I have not purchased filemaker yet, but am looking for a solution for my business. My wife and I operate a small funeral home business and we want to have a database program that can store all of our client information, as well as print a number of forms. We would also need it to calculate and print contracts for our clients. A number of our clients pre-arrange and pre-pay prior to needing our services, so these contracts need to be adjusted at a time of need and converted to an at need contract. I have an excel spreadsheet that does this conversion for me, but is it possible to include the spreadsheet on an individuals record in filemaker ? There are also some statistical requirements for tracking monthly and annual sales.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Will filemaker work for me ?
          psijmons

Hello Blair,

download a trial FileMaker version and import the excel file, this will already give you some basics and have field names and data filled in.

All things you mention can be done, but you need some time to play with it and get a bit of experience.

Also the trial version has a bunch of templates that you can look at, both for layouts as well as script logic.

Peter

• 2. Re: Will filemaker work for me ?
            Lemmtech

Sure FileMaker could do everything you want but depending how complex it is and how many people you need to access it you might be able to use Bento to do what you need as well. I assume you have looked at software for the funeral home industry and not found something to your liking. It just really depends on how much of your own time you want to invest to create something yourself or if you want to hire a developer to do it for you.

-Mark

• 3. Re: Will filemaker work for me ?
              RayCologon

blair wrote:

...but is it possible to include the spreadsheet on an individuals record in filemaker ? There are also some statistical requirements for tracking monthly and annual sales.

Hi blair,

Further to the comments and suggestions from Peter and Mark, you'll find that FileMaker includes calculation capabilities that match (and greatly exceed) what's available within spreadsheet applications. The calculation syntax may differ slightly (eg you'll be using field names rather than cell references, and so on), but the general concepts are comparable.

So, with a little work, you should be able to replicate the functionality you've been accustomed to in your spreadsheet, within the contect of the client records you create in a FileMaker application.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

Email: cologon@nightwingenterprises.com

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

------------------------------------------------