5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 8:49 AM by RayCologon

Filemaker Pro 12 - flush cached join results

roryduffy

Hi there,

I'm using Filemaker in the music industry to administrate programming tours and education projects.

1)

In Programming, I've set up my tour, I've created all of my concerts as separate dated event records, and I've attached those concerts to the tour. Now when I generate my contract (separate record again) for the tour, Filemaker is not pulling through the concert dates into the portals that I've set up... Until I close Filemaker and reopen it again.

2)

The same is happening in Education. I've set up my project, I've created all of my sessions as separate dated event records, and I've attached those sessions to the project. Now when I generate my enrollments (separate records again) for the project, Filemaker is not pulling through the session dates into the portals that I've set up... Until I close Filemaker and reopen it again.

Usually when I click outside of a field or a portal to refresh, related data is pulled through. But it is not doing that.

3)

Sometimes this happens when I'm creating a contract, for an artist linked to an event; the artist is not pulled into the contract, and when I try and add it, I get the 'unrelated record' message. When I close Filemaker and reopen, Filemaker then corrects itself: the artist appears in the contract.

I've seen a script step option 'flush cached join results' - could it be something to do with this? Excuse my ignorance! Is there a script step that I can put into a button to refresh or consolidate join results?

Perhaps my relational graph has too many steps (date - concert/session - tour/project - contract/enrollment) and it takes a while for Filemaker to process? Perhaps Filemaker is just being slow?

We have Filemaker Pro 12 running on a server. I'm 100% certain that it is a problem to do with the application or server, as opposed to my set up.

Any advice much appeciated!

Thanks,

Rory

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 - flush cached join results
          RayCologon

Hi Rory,

You've asked a couple of questions and made a couple of comments. First to answer what you've asked:

roryduffy wrote:

I've seen a script step option 'flush cached join results' - could it be something to do with this? Excuse my ignorance! Is there a script step that I can put into a button to refresh or consolidate join results?

Yes, there is a script and button command named Refresh Window [ ], which appears in the Windows group of commands in the Specify Button dialog and Edit Script window. It offers the ability to select a couple of options one of which is "Flush cached join results".

You can get a similar effect by mainually choosing the Records>Refresh Window command from the overhead menus.

Having said that, if your solution is configured appropriately, you should not need to do either - the cache should update on commit, if not before (depending on where the data resides and how the relationships are configured). If it doesn't then you should assume there is something amiss in the way your solution is set up.

roryduffy wrote:

We have Filemaker Pro 12 running on a server. I'm 100% certain that it is a problem to do with the application or server, as opposed to my set up.

I'm not so sure about that. I've seen many many solutions running on FileMaker Server 12 and in FIleMaker Pro 12, which refresh related data without first closing and reopening the database. I've also seen just a few that don't, and in every single case the behavior pointed to issues with the configuration or integrity of the file(s).

You haven't said much about how your solution is configured, so I'm not going to try to guess what the cause might be in your case, but I can assure you that what you're seeing isn't the accepted or expected behavior of the application.

Regards,

Ray

------------------------------------------------

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

FileMaker Certified Developer

Author, FileMaker Pro 10 Bible

NightWing Enterprises, Melbourne, Australia

Email: cologon@nightwingenterprises.com

http://www.nightwingenterprises.com

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 - flush cached join results
            roryduffy

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your helpful reply. Here is my tabular structure:

Dates >-< Dates_Events >-< Events >-< Events_Tours >-< Tours >-< Tours_Contracts >-< Contracts

Each relationship is set up as "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" checked on only the key (pairings) table side of the relationship, but nothing else checked.

The database is working correctly, except it is just taking Filemaker a while to process the cached join results i.e., Dates to appear under Contracts (6 intermediary steps).

Sometimes it only does this if I close the file and reopen. I suspect that it might be more to do with the server than anything else.

Cheers,

Rory

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 - flush cached join results
              RayCologon

Hi Rory,

Cache updates are handled by the client rather than the server - ie Pro requests the data it needs from the server in order to update the cache. Unless you have a particularly slow network connection, or unless there is something else going on that impacts the dependencies, updates of related data should propagate smoothly.

Again, I don't think the issue you're seeing is a universal problem with Server 12, or I'd be seeing it in a number of other cases, so I strongly suspect there is something else going on in your case that is causing the problem you've described.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 - flush cached join results
                roryduffy

Hi Ray,

Thanks again for your prompt response.

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but what exactly is the client? Is it the machines that are running the software?

Yes, I agree, it must be something to do with our connection. Do you know anything more regarding how cached relational joins are processed?

If it is a simple refresh issue (i.e., clicking outside the box), then, in this case, it might be that Filemaker is effectively reconciling 6 dependencies as opposed to 1, and it has to do this sequentially in a chain, so it requires 6 "refreshes".

As I say, it is not affecting the accuracy of our data, so long as I remind people to close and re-open Filemaker every time they generate a contract - which seems a bit senseless.

Thanks,

Rory

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 12 - flush cached join results
                  RayCologon

Hi Rory,

When you open a file that resides on FileMaker Server on a local workstation using FileMaker Pro, you have what is described as a client-server connection, where FileMaker Pro is the client application. Sorry if my use of terminology was not clear.

Meanwhile, a single flush of cached joins is all that is required to clear the contents of the cache, whereupon it is re-built progressively as far as is necessary to reach all dependencies from the current context (eg to display all related records, however distant). So if one refresh/flush doesn't work, it's unlikely that additional ones will help.

It appears to me that there is some point of disconnection in your solution that is preventing the propagation of dependent data, but what that may be is not clear from the details you've provided, and it would likely take some diagnostic work (eg eliminating variables one by one until you find something that affects the refresh behavior) to establish where the problem resides.

Regards,

Ray

R J Cologon, Ph.D.