5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2013 7:44 PM by msbertrand

iOS synchronized issue

msbertrand

Good day,

First:

Using Win Server 2008Rd

Hosting data using FM Server Advanced

Local iOS data using FM Go

Where a layout includes related data from the hosted file, where the connection on the iOS is lost, than reconnected (iOS driven) it is impossible to get data from the hosted file using the layout that includes the related hosted data.

In other words;

Hosting server have an open file, and a record with a switch '0'

iOS is required to access the hosted file and look for '0'

Script step on iOS -

Go to Layout (hosted file)

'Perform Find' on 'switch' = 0

Set Variable $data

Set 'switch' with '1'

Go to Layout (local FM Go File)

New Record

Set Field 'Data' with '$data'

If the connection was lost, it does not 'get data' like nothing happened (or no new files are required to be loaded)

Work around solution, the user 'quit' FM Go, and 're-login' to re-establish the communication, it works. (Yes, I tried to use the script step 're-login', does not work and does not re-establish the connection).

Let's now assume an ambulance using iOS to obtain a request to responds to an emergency call, and the new request fails to be captured on the iOS, the patient will not get assistance unless the ambulance 're-login', therefore the patient may not get is needed assistance.

Off course this is extreme, but my industry requries field agent to update their iOS with new records often over 100 times a day. They are travelling both in large center and remote area where 3G signals are sometime poor/interrupted.

Anyone knows how I can 'reconnect' automatically without re-login?

I am also aware of 5 method to sychronize data between iOS and Server. I chose the 'simpliest' and it works, but not accurate.

Also, in some cases, and not related to 'connection' issues, when sychronizing new data a blank record is created on the iOS and can't be deleted.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tks Martin Bertrand

• 1. Re: iOS synchronized issue
          pthomas

Hi Martin,

Have you tried using the "Open File" script step to specifically open the remote file at the start of your script?

You could also try the "Refresh Window" script step with the "Flush external cached data" option checked.

You may in fact need to use both commands, open the file, go to the layout based on the hosted file and then refresh the window.

Cheers,

Paul.

• 2. Re: iOS synchronized issue
            msbertrand

Hi Paul,

Tks for the update. 

I was thinking about the 'open file' for a while but never tried it because I am not actually opening a remote file, only using a layout with a table using related files.  The iOS app only has one file, the remote file is not present on the iOS.  However your suggestion makes sense, I did not tried but I will.  The other suggestion makes sense as well and I did not use that either, but familiar in my local desktop app and widely use for various reason.

I will try this and let you know,

Regarfds, Martin B

• 3. Re: iOS synchronized issue
              msbertrand

Hi Paul,

Looks like this will work, still difficult because the variance with iPhone models and performance, as well as wifi and wireless reliability.  However the reconnectivity is working and this will help a lot.

Thank you,

MSB

• 4. Re: iOS synchronized issue
                DavidJondreau

Look into the fmreauthenticate extended privilege. You can set it so a user can be out of a database for up to a week before having to log back in. It may help.

• 5. Re: iOS synchronized issue
                  msbertrand

I shut off this feature because 'all' users re-login everyday, and I have the server disconnecting users after 7 hours of inactivity.  I keep this option un-checked so user are not forced to reconnect when moving to other apps, which is often the case.

The main issue that I did not consider at start is the variance in iPhone model/performance, and the variance in connectivity from 3G to strong WiFI network.  User with iPhone 4 and located in rural area with weaker WIFI and Wireless network are more subject to 'disconnetion', yet it is not rare either in major center with newer iPhone 5 to experience the same issue. 

The file is local on the iPhone and can work without hosted files, but new 'jobs' requires the connection to be pulled on the IOS.  It still works because I added a backup process that sends a SMS and/or Email so the job can be done, but it is not perfect.

What causes the biggest frustration, when the connection is lost a IOS generated message is asking the user to 're-connect' and if no connection is available the user most say 'no' to re-connect.  If this error control could be avoided and let the user carry on without having to reconnect and let the script do the reconnection, while displaying the 'connection status' it would work better.  The users are not always carefull and don't manage IOS prompt properly sometime which is more challenging for them.

Tks, M