Try exporting the data from FM 9 as text, then import into 12
( if the FM 12 data is very different, export from FM 12 as text )
And run a Recover in FM 12, and look thru the log for any items "changed"
> I have recently converted a solution from FM 9 to FM 12. The FM 9 solution was previously in a server crash. After conversion to FM 12 there was wierd behaviour, I then took a clean copy of the solution from before the crash and cloned it. It now had no data in it. I converted it to FM 12. I then imported the data from the misbehaving FM 12 version into my newly minted version.
Thanks Greg. I will try that.
Sounds like your indexing is messed up. If you export as text use the merge format so you can line up field names. Also look at your file and make sure there are no "Recovered Blobs" as fields that's an indication that there were probelms FM couldn't fix. You can also make a clone in 9 of the good file then recovery that clone then convert that file to 12 and import your text. Once FM file start mishaving you really just have to go to old copies that seem ok and then import your data in. Good luck!
Mark, just for info, if you haven't already seen it, please read this:
"Recovered Blobs" are not always problems, and there's no need to recover a "good" clone. It was bad advice then, and bad advice now
Recovery is going to happen late this afternoon at my customers office. It will be quite a bit of work but I feel confident that everything will work out OK in the end. Thank you both for your advice.
Thanks for the link. You're right recoveries sometimes do more harm then good although I have had sucess with doing this on occacision. Of course using good backups is always the preferred way to go.
If exporting and reimporting, use XML.
When importing from an XML file, FM refuses to import any invalid characters. It will tell you the line an column of teh error, and you can remove the bad character (and search fpr any more of the same) using TextWrangler to edit the XML file.
There is no such thing as an "invalid character". FileMaker can store any character code without problem.
There is definitely such things as "invalid characters" in XML. There are certain characters allowed in XML : http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#NT-Char and the spec says "Consequently, XML processors must accept any character in the range specified for Char." But what that also means is almost all XML processors will fail and stop processing if there is a character outside of that range.
So if your XML contains invalid XML characters you can't import it into FileMaker. That is what Oliver was referring to.
How it all worked out in the end.. Thanks to everyone's help we are back, up and running in FM12.
Here is what I did.
1. I had a ".fp7" file from before the crash which I cloned and then converted to FM12.
2. Made small changes etc to make sure the file was current.
3. Imported graphics and preference data into the clone and checked all value lists.
4. Create an export script in the damaged file to export all the data as merge text (.mer) This script aslo created an export log file which showed the table name and the found count. It is important to show all records before exporting just in case something was left with a found set.
5. I opened the merge text files in text wrangler to check how many records were exported and to see if it matched the found count in my export log file. I tend to get paranoid when files are damaged.
6. Create an import script in my new cloned file to import all the merge text files. This is where merge text was really nice because I could use "matching field names" when importing. This saved a huge amount of time. This script also created an import log file which I later compared to the export log file just to check that the number of records exported matched the number of records imported.
Done! It has been running without problem for a week now with 30 users on the network.
Some interesting statistics.
The damaged file was 4.2 GB.
The exported merge text was 190 MB.
The new clean file after importing all the data is 2 GB. All the data is there.
I am about to migrate from FM9 to FM12 and your detailed debriefing is going to be very helpful.
Thank you ChrisG