1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 6:05 PM by Lemmtech

Import from a flat table into a FMP file with related tables?

flybynight

Learning as I go… building a new solution and trying to build things the "right" way. So as part of this solution, I have a "Companies" table with info specific to the company: __pk_CompanyID, CompanyName, BillingAddress, etc. Then I have a "Contacts" table with info specific to the contact: __pk_ContactID, _fk_CompanyID, the contact's specific contact info, etc...

But, there are legacy files all over the place that we want to import. Some stuff in QuickBooks that we can export, some salesmen have their own list of contacts, usually in an Excel file.

Is there an elegant way to import these into FileMaker, preserving the relationships between Companies and Contacts?

Or would you have to put in all the ID fields and then do 2 imports?

Thanks!

-Shawn

• 1. Re: Import from a flat table into a FMP file with related tables?
          Lemmtech

Yes you need keys in both files and then two 2 imports. You can only import on table at a time. Create a temp database with both tables company and contacts import all your data from various sources into there clean up all the data, match them up then import into your solution. I do this for clients all the time. DON'T just pull all your data directly into your live solution clean it up first.

-Mark