4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2013 9:53 AM by rbmn67

Moving FileMaker solutions around - test and production environments.

rbmn67

Dear forum members,

New to FM development, I have searched for a kind of "Best Practice" guideline on solution delivery.

I am used to OTAP environments (T-Map, for more info search "Tmap" and "Sogeti"), where we develop (O - environment), Test (T), perform senior user and end user acceptance (A), and finally, implement the modified solution in a production environment (P).

In my case the development (O) is local FM Pro Advanced, the test and accaptence (T&A) is local FM Server, and the Production is at the customer's site (FM Server), all v. 12.

Exporting existing data, uploading the new FM file and importing exisiting data seems the only way, but feels a bit awkward, several other development platforms offer tooling for solution exchange between environments.

Does any one have experiences with simular FM development environments and copying / moving / updating FM versions between environments (including production data updates)?

many thanks in advance,

with kind regards,

Ruud.

• 1. Re: Moving FileMaker solutions around - test and production environments.
          ChrisPye

Hi Ruud,

I generally incorporate the import process into my solution early in the development stage by scripting the imports, and tweak them as I need to along to way.  If moving from an older version of Filemaker, I often use an upgraded (and sometimes slightly modified) copy of the old FM database as an intermediate.

Once the new solution has been installed at the clients site, somethiing like RefreshFM  http://www.goya.com.au/refreshfm   can make things much easier.

Cheers,

Chris

• 2. Re: Moving FileMaker solutions around - test and production environments.
            Mike_Mitchell

Ruud -

Welcome to FileMaker. In addition to Chris's suggestions, you might want to search the forum for "separation model". This typically involves using multiple FileMaker files, one or more for interface and one or more for data. Since many of your changes will involve changes to scripting and interface elements, you can often simply change out the interface file(s) without needing to do a data import.

HTH

Mike

• 3. Re: Moving FileMaker solutions around - test and production environments.
              rbmn67

Hi Chris,

Thanks for these tips, exactly addressing the issue's i am running into. RefreshFM looks pretty smart and helpful as well, especially for providing acceptance environments with actualised data.

Thanks again,

Ruud.

Op 13 mrt. 2013 om 11:12 heeft ChrisPye <noreply@filemaker.com> het volgende geschreven:

created by ChrisPye in General - View the full discussion

Hi Ruud,

I generally incorporate the import process into my solution early in the development stage by scripting the imports, and tweak them as I need to along to way.  If moving from an older version of Filemaker, I often use an upgraded (and sometimes slightly modified) copy of the old FM database as an intermediate.

Once the new solution has been installed at the clients site, somethiing like RefreshFM  http://www.goya.com.au/refreshfm   can make things much easier.

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in General by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2013 • San Diego, California • August 12-15 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

• 4. Re: Moving FileMaker solutions around - test and production environments.
                rbmn67

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the welcome and hint about the "separation model". I am familiar with multi tier software solutions and was wondering if some kind of multi tier / layer could be implemented with FM solutions. I will search for that topic and will most certainly adopt the model. Come to think of it, that might address some (future) PHP web publishing challenges as well.

Thanks,

Ruud.

Op 13 mrt. 2013 om 12:24 heeft Mike_Mitchell <noreply@filemaker.com> het volgende geschreven:

created by Mike_Mitchell in General - View the full discussion

Ruud -

Welcome to FileMaker. In addition to Chris's suggestions, you might want to search the forum for "separation model". This typically involves using multiple FileMaker files, one or more for interface and one or more for data. Since many of your changes will involve changes to scripting and interface elements, you can often simply change out the interface file(s) without needing to do a data import.

HTH

Mike

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on FileMaker Technical Network

Start a new discussion in General by email or at FileMaker Technical Network

Manage your email preferences.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2013 • San Diego, California • August 12-15 • www.filemaker.com/devcon