1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 13, 2013 3:41 PM by keywords

Formatting issues when copying text from a FileMaker generated PDF

jaylkjr

I have created a nice system for someone in the real estate business. The final product that is sent over to their customers is a standard PDF generated from FileMaker. Their customer then copy and paste from this PDF into their software. The catch is that when you copy from a FileMaker PDF, each line ends with a Hard Return. Thus when pasted, the text is all chopped up and the user must go through and remove these returns in each clause. Since the PDF is generated from text without hard returns, I feel that my ability to control the result is limited. I have even tried using the Adobe PDF printing engine, and the same result.

Anyone have experiance with this? Is there a simple option before I totally change the process? I figure I could switch to something driven by 360 Works "Scribe" plug-in, perhaps even creating a Word document, but would rather skip the trouble.

• 1. Re: Formatting issues when copying text from a FileMaker generated PDF
          keywords

Consider yourself lucky.  I have seen pdf files created from MSWord docs that, when cut and pasted, render with a carriage return after every word!  On the other hand, I have also copied and pasted text from pdf files which I didn't create (and hence don't know how they were generated), which has no extraneous line breaks.

Seriously though, I have just done a couple of quick tests with interesting and unexpected results which suggest you look elsewhere than FM for your solution:

1.     I copied and pasted a paragraph from a pdf generated from FM into a text file (using TextEdit on a Mac); result, carriage return on every line.

2.     I copied and pasted a paragraph from a pdf generated from MSWord into a text file (using TextEdit on a Mac); result, carriage return after every word.

3.     I opened each of the above pdf files in Preview instead of Acrobat and repeated the above tests; result, no extraneous carriage returns in either case!

So perhaps your client could try something other than Acrobat to view the pdf files and extract the text.

Hope that's of some help.