12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2013 9:25 PM by MarkNZ

Remote Access Address to Server

MarkNZ

Hi all,

Can someone help please... what would the address look like for someone remotely to access the DB hosted on the server..& what is the best way to going about finding this. to pass on?

Does the address have to be a long winded trail..or can it be visually altered to look better while still maintaining the path.

Regards

• 1. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
          Mike_Mitchell

Mark -

There are a couple of different ways to do it.

To access it through the FileMaker client directly, I usually recommend saving the file as a Favorite. You can have the users do this when they have the file open just by selecting File > Open Favorite > Add Current File to Favorites. Alternatively, they can create the Favorite using the Manage Favorites dialog at File > Open Favorite > Manage Favorites:

dialog.png

They can click the "+" icon to bring up the Open File dialog. Click "Remote" to bring up Open Remote:

dialog.png

See that "Network File Path" field at the bottom? Underneath, there's an example of the proper pathname. It looks like this:

fmnet:/hostIPAddress/filename

You can use either the explicit IP address of the server or its qualified DNS name (like server.domain) for "hostIPAddress". Also, if you have any spaces in the filename, replace them with "+".

There are other options, too. You can give users a web URL in this form:

fmp://[server or IP]/filename

This can be placed on the company's web page; it will launch FileMaker and then the database. (Use fmp7:// for FileMaker 7 - 11.)

You can also use a snapshot link from, for example, your application's main menu. Users can then drop it onto their desktops for double-click access. Another version of this is the tried-and-true opener file, which is basically a FileMaker file whose only purpose in life is to sit on the user's desktop and go out to the server to open the "real" database. It uses a script to do so; you can fancy it up by either using the OnFirstWindowOpen trigger to launch the system or have a menu system to launch the database (depending on your needs).

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
            MarkNZ

Hi Mike..thanks for your good answers

Could you possiably send me a example aof a (Another version of this is the tried-and-true opener file)  ..As I have been wanting to work out how to allow my clients to easily connect to the database with minimal screen needing to be open as it seems a little unproffesional.. well in my eyes anyway.

also where to you go to create a snap shot link? or is the  FM File-Send- database Link?

Q. On my FMS machine do I need to run both FMS  & FM or is it not nessasary to run FM?

Regards

• 3. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
              Mike_Mitchell

Mark -

A basic opener file is attached. In normal application, you would obviously not allow admin access; rather, you'd log in with a minimal access account. You can launch the file on the server automatically as part of the opening script if you like.

Snapshot links are created at File > Save / Send Records As > Snapshot Link. They don't provide all the flexibility of an opener file, but they're easier to create.

No, you certainly do not need to run both FileMaker Pro / Advanced and Server on your Server machine. In fact, if you do, you should be cautious not to open any hosted databases directly from the OS, but rather using the Open Remote command from inside the Pro / Advanced software.

HTH

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
                MarkNZ

Hi Mike thanks for that..Im just trying to get my head around how it all works..

How would I connect that opener with the database itself?  do i need to add DB file naming? or will it open anything FM on that machine?

sorry its just ive never done it before, would you mind explaining a little further..thanksyou

• 5. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
                  Mike_Mitchell

Mark -

The script "Open File" does it through the external data source. Go to File > Manage > External Data Sources. I've placed an example source there for your reference. You'll need to substitute your IP address and file name.

Mike

• 6. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
                    MarkNZ

Well Mike I got it working...the only thing is it didnt seem to like the +'s to file the file name spaces, so I removed them and it worked?

What would the address look like if I was accessing the DB from outside the network?

Regards

PS: Can the opener be a file on the clients desktop and show as a company Logo?

• 7. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
                      Mike_Mitchell

The address is the same, assuming you're not behind a firewall or router. If you are, then you need to set up port forwarding on the router. You can check your router documentation or here on the forum for how to do that.

BTW - the "+" in the filename applies only to the web-based URL protocol ("fmp://"), not to the external data sources.

Glad you got it working.

• 8. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
                        MarkNZ

Hi Mike..I see, Thanks

If I add the port forwarding into the router etc would I still need to ad the Incoming router IP to the main File address...to get 1. through the router 2. IP address of the server computer 3. file name of the DB is this correct?

With regard to thw opener file..does it stay open behind the DB window once the DB comes online or would I add a script to have it close.. Is it good practice to make the client open the DB again from the Desktop if the close the DB for say... Lunch or they get booted off due to being off the machine past the allowed time.

• 9. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
                          Mike_Mitchell

Whether you leave the opener open is up to you. It mostly depends on how it functions, IMHO; if you auto-launch the hosted file, then I usually close it. If, on the other hand, it serves as a dashboard for that file and others, then leaving it open makes more sense.

I'm not certain what you're asking in the second part of your question. If the database is closed, it doesn't much matter how the client opens it back up, does it? They could use Recent Files, Favorites, the opener, etc. Or are you asking something else?

Mike

• 10. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
                            MarkNZ

Thats good to know..Im just trying to find the most user friendly approach.

If I add the port forwarding into the router etc would I still need to ad the Incoming router IP to the main File address...to get 1. through the router 2. IP address of the server computer 3. file name of the DB is this correct?

Mark

• 11. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
                              Mike_Mitchell

If you're using port forwarding, you should just be able to embed the IP address of the router in the opener file. I haven't done this myself, so I suggest trying it and seeing what happens.   

• 12. Re: Remote Access Address to Server
                                MarkNZ

Thanks Mike for all your help..Ive now got it all working