11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 1:02 PM by mikebeargie

Router Porting Numbers

MarkNZ

Hi all,

Can you have the port number 16000 set up in the router to be avaliable for 2 static IP addresses for 2 different computers?

or is this unnessasary? as the remote user will find all available FM Files.

• 1. Re: Router Porting Numbers
          mikebeargie

Usually configuring NAT in a router to forward a port coming in from the outside will only allow you to point to one location on the inside. (I'm assuming by Static IP you mean the local static IP addresses inside your network. IE 192.168.0.10, 192.168.0.11)

I'm sure some enterprise class routers have some sort of rollover functionality on NAT to rollover to a second address if the first does not respond, but most routers I've dealt with only allow one rule per inbound port.

You might be able to hack something together using an alternate port number for the second machine. IE incoming 17000 TCP translates to second static IP port 16000.

• 2. Re: Router Porting Numbers
            mikebeargie

Also, port 16000 is for the administration. Port 5003 is filemaker's main connection port.

Are your two host machines setup using filemaker server's multiple machine install option? Or are they two independent servers?

• 3. Re: Router Porting Numbers
              GordonShewach

If I understand what you're asking, Mark, you want to have users on the WAN side of the router be able to get to 2 different FileMaker Servers on the LAN side of the router. You can do this with port forwarding changing the "public port." Here's an example.

Let's say you have an FMS box at 192.168.0.10 and another at .11. You set one port forward rule in your router to route traffic from public port 16001 to private port 16000, protocol TCP, and IP address 192.168.0.10. Then you set a 2nd port forward rule to route traffic from public port 16002 to private port 16000, protocol TCP, and IP address 192.168.0.11.

Then when you try to access one or the other from the WAN, you'd enter in your browser: WANIPaddressofrouter:16001 to go to .10 or WANIPaddressofrouter:16002 to go to .11. And to emphasize what Mike said, port 16000 is for admin console administration of FMS, not FMP remote access to a file.

Gordon Shewach

Desktop Services

Ann Arbor, MI

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Router Porting Numbers
                wimdecorte

keep in mind that port 16000 is also used for streaming container data if that feature is used, so it not just for FMS admin purposes.

• 5. Re: Router Porting Numbers
                  mikebeargie

Good to know, thanks wim!

• 6. Re: Router Porting Numbers
                    MarkNZ

Hi Mike..thanks for your comments

2 seperate Installations..

What I have actually got is 1 Server machine and 1 machine running peer to peer ( No FMS ) just FM. hence my question.

I think I may end up putting both DB's on the one FMS Machine as the  peer to peer DB is very small.

Q. Do I require a copy of FM on the server machine as well as the FMS  or is it not a requirement.

regards

• 7. Re: Router Porting Numbers
                      MarkNZ

Hi Gordon, Thanks

So in the router there are options to change the Public & Private settings is that right?

• 8. Re: Router Porting Numbers
                        MarkNZ

Hi wim,

My main DB has alot og container fields which uses open storage as you mentioned..Is there anything i have to watch out for when clients add to these...upload speed etc

• 9. Re: Router Porting Numbers
                          mikebeargie

If you move your peer-to-peer filemaker file to a machine running filemaker server, then no, filemaker pro is not required, you would just upload the database into the filemaker server, and cease hosting it from the current peer-to-peer.

Filemaker pro though is a useful tool for troubleshooting server issues, and we usually leave a dormant copy installed on our servers to localize troubleshooting, especially useful during network hiccups when trying to identify if it's a machine vs. network issue.

• 10. Re: Router Porting Numbers
                            GordonShewach

Most, not all routers, give you the ability to specify public and private ports. Nice trick if you need to get to multiple computers behind a firewall on the same protocol (like VNC).

But I think your situation gets cleared up if you put all your databases on the FMS box. Then you just have to forward port 5003 through the router to your FMS box. And 5003 is the only port you need for non-streaming container data.

Gordon Shewach

• 11. Re: Router Porting Numbers
                              mikebeargie

To gordon's point, if you want to translate from an incoming connection to a port, I find this is best done on the machine itself using "portproxy" (windows OS), I believe NETSH can also be used.

This allows you (on the machine itself) to direct incoming port traffic to act as if it's arriving from a different port.

IE for a second filemaker server redirection (let's say your first server is locally 192.168.0.10 and the second is on 192.168.0.11, and your front-facing public IP is 74.12.50.112)

1) Add router entry using NAT to redirect port 17000 to 192.168.0.11 and port 16000 to 192.168.0.10

2) on second server, use portproxy to translate incoming port 17000 traffic to port 16000.

4) Now, typing 74.12.50.112:16000 gives you the admin page of the first server. Typign in 74.12.50.11:17000 gives you the admin page of the second server.

We have used this sort of setup to bind port 80 to port 5003 to get around some strict client firewalls that need to access an external filemaker host. (yes, we are aware that's really a hack job and not ideal, or even recommended).