AnsweredAssumed Answered

Merge two FileMaker Go databases

Question asked by AnthonyDenahy on Mar 13, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 13, 2013 by DavidJondreau

My last FileMaker Pro development experience was in the 1990s, so I'm a little rusty, and need some advice regarding a job I've been asked to do for a not-for-profit organisation (Melbourne Australia head office) that sends volunteer plastic surgeons to third world countries for short term projects.

The database required is a fairly simple surgery audit: patient details, diagnosis and procedures performed etc, with ability to store a photo or two per patient.

However the work flow situation is a bit tricky. Let's say that the project is at a small hospital in Laos for example. The volunteer medical staff will be staying at a hotel with decent (I hope) internet access, but this is not available at the hospital. There will sometimes be a need for two nurses in separate rooms with iPads, each with a long line of patients, taking down their details etc. Then at the end of this initial consultation day, we want the patient records from both iPads to be combined into one database to enable prioritising of operations for the following day.

Now, initially I was hoping to avoid complex syncronisation scripts for this project, as I thought there would only be one iPad in use per project, and the data could be simply imported into the head office master database at the end of the project. However, now that we have the scenario of two iPads, and the need to merge the data during the project, it looks like we will need the following (feedback on this please):

1. FileMaker Server at head office

2. A system (scripts on the FileMaker Go databases and perhaps on the master database too) to enable export of data from the iPads to a staging database on the server in Melbourne, then import of that combined data back into the iPads in Laos

3. at the end of the project a script to import FileMaker Go data into the master database.

That's my idea for a solution at present. Is there any simpler way of merging two FileMaker Go databases without the use of FileMaker Server and the internet?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Outcomes