2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 8:00 AM by kraftfm

Auto-complete is not supported in drop-down lists

kraftfm

As we know, auto-complete is not supported in drop-down list when the value list used is configured to use Also display values from second field. The situation I have is the referenced table has 3,500 entries. As such when the user uses the pull down they can put in just the first character, for instance "M", but can't do anything more than that. The list is long.

The list however won't change that much. Can I copy the list into the regular defined value list section via a script of some sort whenever a record is added or deleted from the reference table? I would set the value list up and then just update upon a change.

Is this possible?

Thanks all.

• 1. Re: Auto-complete is not supported in drop-down lists
          mikebeargie

You can't automatically insert the values from a dynamically-built / indexed value list into a static value list.

BUT,

you can run a similar query using filemaker pro advanced data viewer, and filemaker 12's executeSQL function.

If you have both of those, you just need to open the data viewer (tools > data viewer), click the "watch" tab, click the green plus sign to add a new watched expression, and enter your ExecuteSQL query:

ExecuteSQL ("

SELECT DISTINCT(value)

FROM table

ORDER BY value ASC

" ; "" ; "" )

Click "evaluate now", and you will instantly have a unique value list (alpha sorted), of which you can copy and paste the values from into a static value list. Furthermore, you can click "monitor" to continue to monitor this calculation for later use, just re-click "evaluate now" to refresh the results.

• 2. Re: Auto-complete is not supported in drop-down lists
            kraftfm

Thanks very much!  Mike