2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2013 7:11 PM by mochad

How do I show text fields in sub-summary. No calculations.

mochad

Client has FileMaker 11 and will not upgrade at this time. My goal is to create one printable page that contains a list of club officers in the body and shared business information below. All of this needs to be editable text fields, so I cannot use a header for the business info that can only be changed in the layout. The simplified result looks something like this.

(Body) Found set of records containing "Active" in "MemStatus" field and "*" in "BoardPosition" field, in a table named "Members".

President Alice Jones (000) 000-0000

Vice Pres John Marks (000) 000-0000

Tresurer Sue Smith (000) 000-0000

(Sub summary) Sorted by "Active" in "Members" table.

Fields below are in a related table named "Businesses", containing one record. All of these text fields are displayed on the same record. There are only a few businesses, so there is no need for multiple records. Again, the fields below must be editable text fields.

Business One (000) 000-0000 www.ABC.com

Business Two (000) 000-0000 www.DEF.com

Business Three (000) 000-0000 www.GHI.com

So far, the page displays the Body of officers correctly, followed by the Sub summary showing the word "Active", which I'll hide later, and the text labels from the Businesses table. However, all the business fields are blank. Please don't suggest I locate the business fields in the Members table. I tried that and the record was deleted within a few months. Unless there is a way to lock a record from being deleted, which I doubt, then on some layout, someone's going to find it useless and delete it. Removing Browse from certain fields has nothing to do with the solution either. This project is a lot larger than the example, with hundreds of fields in many tables. The business information text was entered into fields on a seperate layout for the Business table. How do I bring up the Sub summary Business table text in the above Members table layout?

• 1. Re: How do I show text fields in sub-summary. No calculations.
          AlanStirling

Hi Mochad

Add a global text field to your table: Members

Before printing the page, use a Set Field script step to set the Business Labels and Data in the Global field.

You may need a relationship between your Members table and the Business Record. You could add a relationship that matches on all records (Cartesien), since you only have one business record.

Remove any reference to Business data from your original layout.

Then add a Trailing Grand Summary to your original layout, with just the new Global field showing, deep enough to display all the Busiess Data.

This should print as you requested.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 2. Re: How do I show text fields in sub-summary. No calculations.
            mochad

Terrific! Thank you so much. With a little tweaking, all the information now prints correctly on one page. A global field would have changed every modified date, which is important to keep, a limitation I didn't think to mention. Instead, I related the two tables with an "Actiive" field. A member has to be "Active" to be on the Board, and the "Active" field in the Business table is a global. Perfect. Your solution put me on track and is much appreciated. You really paid attention to what I was asking. TY!