4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 2:40 PM by Malcolm

I would love a debugger in FMA12 for Filemaker Go

mcrostie

Hi All

I have a solution that runs similtainsly between FM12 on a laptop and FM Go on the iPad.

I have made pages for the iPad within the solution, but am having problems debuging any scripts on the iPad side of the solution.

Does any body have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance - any discussion welcome

Regards

Michael

• 1. Re: I would love a debugger in FMA12 for Filemaker Go
          deninger

This is what I do as well. You did not specify this, but I think you mean that you are opening the DB remotely from FM Go so you can see changes made by FM Advance as they are made. This works well for me.

Overall, scripts do not acts differently on GO vs. FM Pro, so I am spend my time debugging the Pro app and testing layouts etc on GO.

Mike

• 2. Re: I would love a debugger in FMA12 for Filemaker Go
            mcrostie

Thank Mike

Yes, I remotely open my DB from the Laptop.

It is time consuming debuging, as I have to just run the iPad solution and try and capture (in my head) any breaks or errors.

I keep thinking I should design the scripts differently - but not sure how!!!!!!

Regards

Michael

• 3. Re: I would love a debugger in FMA12 for Filemaker Go
              deninger

The errors should be no different than when it is running on FM Advance, so you can step thru the code with the debugger on your development machine. You shouldn't need (except on rare occasion) a debugger on the FM Go side.

If I am having difficulty on the GO side, I sometimes add a Custom Dialog to the script to pop up when it gets somewhere so I can check the value of a variable etc. on the iPad, but generally I can just debug on my Mac and it works on FM GO. Historically, I have only needed to do this when dealing with variables that involve the file system (Get (TemporaryPath) etc) as GO handles things a wee bit differently than a PC or Mac.

Mike

• 4. Re: I would love a debugger in FMA12 for Filemaker Go
                Malcolm

There are three real sets of difference that you need to handle.

1. Some script steps are not available in iOS. You can check for these easily using fmpro. Use the pop-up selector at the lower left hand corner of the script maker dialog.

2. User input objects are different on iOS and the desktop. You'll need to interact with all the layouts on the device to see what they do.

3. User expectations/behaviour are very different. If you can't use the app when you are "tired and emotional" go back to the drawing board.

Malcolm