3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 7:14 PM by databuzz

Custom Web Publishing Session Duration

Gregory_Smith

Custom Web Publishing Session Duration

I am looking for information/resources regarding the nitty-gritty of how FileMaker Server Advanced 12 handles CWP “sessions”.

I understand from the documentation (fms12_cwp_php_en.pdf) that “Custom Web Publishing with PHP does not use persistent database sessions.” However, when I use the FMS Admin tool to see connected clients I notice that a “php client” remains connected for a few minutes after a “hit” on a php script. Also, if I “re-hit” the same script I do not see any additional php connections... I see that apparently the *same* php connection is being used for subsequent executions of the script. That is, if I repeatedly hit a webpage that causes the php script to fire several times I do not see more than one “php connection” with the FMS admin tool. After I stop hitting the web page the connection apparently “persists” for a few minutes. (I understand it is not necessarily “persisting” in the database sense of the word.)

Where can I find more information on exactly how/when FMS creates new PHP connections? Apart from the FileMaker documentation, are there are other resources with the details of some of the inner workings of CWP in FMS 12?

In my FileMaker solution I set a webviewer, on some layouts, to fire scripts with CWP. A given user may cause some of these scripts to fire several times over the course of a few seconds. I’d like to understand how CWP deals with these rapid hits.

Many thanks,

Greg

• 1. Re: Custom Web Publishing Session Duration
          databuzz

Hi Greg,

There doesn't appaer to be any documentation that I could find that outlines how the new session cache feature works in FileMaker Server v12. The only information I have is from a DevCon session last year (WPE Under the hood) - from my notes the new session cache has a timeout of 3 minutes. This is what you're seeing in the Clients section of the Server Admin Console (previously CWP connections would connect/disconnect immediately and you would be hard pressed to see them appear in the Admin Console).

If the session remains idle for 3 minutes it's destroyed and a new session is created the next time you make a connection.

HTH,

Andrew

FileMaker 12/11/10/9/8 Certified Developer

Databuzz

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Phone: +61 2 9484 6565

Mobile: +61 418 468 103

Email: andrew@databuzz.com.au

http://www.databuzz.com.au

• 2. Re: Custom Web Publishing Session Duration
            Gregory_Smith

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

I did contact Vin Addala, the speaker who did the DevCon session to which you refer... but he would not share his notes, indicating they were for conference attendees only.

So, I am still thirsty for knowledge on the inner workings of CWP on FMS 12... if you ever come across any good resources, please share.

Thanks again,

Greg

• 3. Re: Custom Web Publishing Session Duration
              databuzz

Hi Greg,

That DevCon session is one of the sessions up for nomination for DevCon 2012 Session Recording Release for March:

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/polls/1083

Polling closes on the 5th April and it needs a few more votes to get over the line!

Andrew