4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 7:51 AM by gdurniak

Changing Data Schema in Live File?

ca78

Planning a large project that I would like to develop in several different modules, where I want to complete one module, get users started, add the next module then implement and so on. I am using the seperation model and all security setup is in data file to allow me to change interface files easily, but there will be changes to the data files with each additional module.

Is it a major concern to continue to make changes to the data schema while it is in use? I plan to allow users to update their passwords, so therefore managing an update on a data file becomes quite a bit more difficult, especially when these are enterprise wide apps that I really do not want to shut down for any extended period of time, once they are operational. If I work on a cloned copy and then 2 weeks later export data from my live file and import into my updated data file, I lose all of the security changes that have been made duing that development period.

I have looked at Refresh FM, but I think that automates the movement of data from one file to another but not security information. Is there any method in Filemaker to get to security data to import into a different file?

I don't like the idea of storing the security information in an actual table and then script all user and password management, but is my only solution to do that? (store all userid, passwords and privilege set information in an actual data table and then script and upgrade routine to add the users back into the new data file)

Does anyone have any alternative ideas?

• 1. Re: Changing Data Schema in Live File?
          ch0c0halic

If each module is a separate file, which will be required to 'sell/deploy' each module separately, then you could host the new data file and distribute the new Front End to take support it.

Each version of the Front End file will only be used with the specific set of modules it supports. It will take a lot of work to make a universal Front End that doesn't constantly ask for the missing data files.

• 2. Re: Changing Data Schema in Live File?
            jbante

You should consider external authentication, where FileMaker relies on an Active Directory or Open Directory server to handle authentication. This way, FileMaker files aren't tracking user account names and passwords internally, which makes it easier to swap out old files for new ones.

• 3. Re: Changing Data Schema in Live File?
              ca78

I had thought about external authentication, but I need the ability to allow a user to change their own passwords and I also need the ability for an area manager to create a userid for an entry level employee, which I can script when I use the Filemaker users.

• 4. Re: Changing Data Schema in Live File?
                gdurniak

For one of our solutions,  we used one file just for Login,  that set Globals,  then every other file used it to check for "permissions"

so long as you don't need to lock the data itself

greg

> I need the ability to allow a user to change their own passwords and I also need the ability for an area manager to create a userid for an entry level employee