10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 9:45 AM by dlatorre

FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode

dlatorre

Can anyone tell me why FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes when I am go into Find Mode? I have tried recovery, compacting file. Any ideas about how to fix it?

• 1. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode
          gdurniak

are you using any plugins ?  does it work with other files ?

greg

> FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes when I am go into Find Mode

• 2. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode
            dlatorre

Hi Greg,

Thank you for getting back regarding my problem (at 3:36 AM Wow!).

No I am not using any plugins. After recovering that same file many times and thinking that something had currupted it, I gave up on it and tried to redevelop the same design from "New". However, after bringing that new file up to the same design as the one that was crashing, that crashed whenever I entered "Find" mode, too.

Today, I went back to a previous copy of the original file before adding the scripts and buttons that probably were the cause of some conflict. The old file is not as elegant as the ones that constantly crashed, but it seems to hold true. I would love to isolate the problem so that it wouldn't happen again to me (so many hours gone) but I could not decifer the "crash" report nor the consistancy report. Note, that I never, ever had this problem in FM Pro Advanced 11 or 10 or 9. Is there something wrong with FMP 12 Advanced?

Thanks, again!

Debby

• 3. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode
              gdurniak

Unfortunately, this is a time consuming trial and error process

Sometimes, by looking thru the Recover Log for items "changed",  you can identify problem elements,  and delete them

I've had files crash because of a bad graphic pasted on a layout

greg

> Today, I went back to a previous copy of the original file before adding the scripts and buttons that probably were the cause of some conflict. The old file is not as elegant as the ones that constantly crashed

• 4. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode
                dlatorre

Hi Greg,

Yes, it is time consuming. Good advice to look at the rescan the Recover log. However, I studied it again and could not find any problems. Also, I did a search for the word "change" and the word "item" in the "matching string" box on the top right of the log report and nothing came up. Since my data or records never changed, I am guessing that it could be a conflict in the scripts or buttons that I added later on.

I'll certainly save serial copies as I go when creating my next solutions so I won't have to go back so far for my prior working files. Also, maybe I can identify bugs that way.

Any other ideas or known problems for FMP 12 Adv? If not thanks for your time!

Deb

• 5. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode
                  gdurniak

yes, save a lot of backups

do you do the Find with a script ?  that one script could be the problem

see here as well:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/6fc5632a8f

greg

> I'll certainly save serial copies as I go when creating my next solutions so I won't have to go back so far for my prior working files. Also, maybe I can identify bugs that way.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode
                    dlatorre

Hi Greg,

It crashed when I used the "Find" record in the menu bar or if I used "Command + F".

I hope it doesn't happen again in another file or I will return to FMP 11 Advanced and hope that the FMP techs work it out later. I use Filemaker for some pretty extensive recordkeeping and this kind of scares me. By the way, I have been using Filemaker since around 1992 and have never run into a problem like this before. Perhaps the program has become too sophisticated for me or they have tried to jam too many bells and whistles into it. The layouts sure look great and I love using the scripts. Well, gotta go.

Thanks, again and again!!

Deb

• 7. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode
                      AlanStirling

Hi Debbie

Did you use any plug-ins with your FileMaker 11 files?

The reason I ask is that, firstly I have not suffered from the problem that you are seeing, having worked with FMP 12 for nearly a year now. Secondly, there is now a shared folder for FileMaker plug-ins, which can be accessed by FMP 11 and 12. If I remember correctly on a Mac it is in ~/library/application support/FileMaker/extensions/, but this is from memory. You will have to check the documentation for FMP 12 to be sure. Please check that you have no plug-ins in this folder, or at least update them to the latest versions. 

I'm afraid this is my only suggestion - there is something wrong which you need to find and this is my best bet.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 8. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode
                        dlatorre

Hi Alan,

No, I am not using any plug-ins and the problem does not appear in any of my FMP 11 Advanced converted files. Thinking that it might have been a corrupt file, I started from a fresh new file, importing the same data and fields from the bad file and then programming the same scripts. I didn't add any graphics. When I used the "Find" from the toolbar or "Command+F", it crashed. So, now I am using a previous copy of the "pre-crashing" file and I am not programming any of the convenient scripts that seemed to have initiated the problem and it doesn't crash - but it is not as user friendly.

After spending hours trying to isolate the problem and finding that none of the recover logs say that anything is wrong, I am guessing that it is some FMP 12 Adv. anomaly that is causing the crashing when entering the FIND mode. I have never experienced this in any other versions of Filemaker since I began using it in 1991 (from Claris, I think at that time).

Tomorrow, I am leaving for two weeks to visit friends in Asia and may or may not have access to a computer there. If I do, I'll check back to see your suggestion. Otherwise, I will get back to FM Technet after April 8th.

Thanks,

Deb

• 9. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode
                          gdurniak

"not programming" is not a solution !

call Tech Support

and if the crashing is repeatable, it's easier for them to fix

greg

> I am not programming any of the convenient scripts that seemed to have initiated the problem and it doesn't crash - but it is not as user friendly.

After spending hours trying to isolate the problem and finding that none of the recover logs say that anything is wrong, I am guessing that it is some FMP 12 Adv. anomaly that is causing the crashing when entering the FIND mode

• 10. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced constantly crashes in Find Mode
                            dlatorre

Hi Greg,

You are correct in that I need to know what causes the crashes because it is a serious problem. In the meantime, I am traveling to Asia, leaving early tomorrow, and won't be back in my office until April 8th. Since this is my last day in the office, I have several tasks to complete before I leave.

I will contact FMP support when I return and post what they say. I'll bet that it is probably something that I did to cause a conflict. I am very concerned about this matter because I have a couple of other files (converted) that are really important and really complex. I have always found Filemaker to be a very robust program and I was really surprised by this. I must admit that because it was so reliable, I became lax in my incremental backups while programming.

Thanks again!

Dev