7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2013 7:16 AM by hbrendel

Filemaker Go Permissions

olliecollins

Hi there,

I am fairly new to FM development, and would really like to know the answer to the following question:

I have a pupil assessment database that I want to share with a number of teachers in the school where I work, via Filemaker Go on iOS. I want them to be able to add data to fields, but not to be able to upload the database and make any changes to it. Is there any way of disabling admin rights in this way?

many thanks

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go Permissions
          melastudio

You can act with priviledge set; In combination with custom menu. I know that menus are not available on iOS but disabling a command in a menu set disable the command itself also in iOS.

With iOS,  structural changes are not allowed so if you are sure that other people access ONLY with iOS you're sure that your DB will not be changed...

Daide

Il giorno 20/mar/2013, alle ore 08:14, olliecollins <noreply@filemaker.com> ha scritto:

creato da olliecollins in FileMaker Go - Visualizza la discussione completa

Hi there,

I am fairly new to FM development, and would really like to know the answer to the following question:

I have a pupil assessment database that I want to share with a number of teachers in the school where I work, via Filemaker Go on iOS. I want them to be able to add data to fields, but not to be able to upload the database and make any changes to it. Is there any way of disabling admin rights in this way?

many thanks

Per rispondere a tale utente, rispondi a questo messaggio e-mail -o- accedi al messaggio su FileMaker Technical Network

Avvia una nuova discussione in FileMaker Go per e-mail o in FileMaker Technical Network

Gestisci le tue preferenze email.

FileMaker Developer Conference 2013 • San Diego, California • August 12-15 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

Davide Puppo

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filemaker Go Permissions
            olliecollins

thanks for the prompt reply.

What I would like to prevent is someone taking a filemaker go database and uploading it via itunes to their own PC/Mac and then having full access to the file.

Please can you tell me how to do this?

thanks

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go Permissions
              Malcolm

I have a pupil assessment database that I want to share with a number of teachers in the school where I work, via Filemaker Go on iOS.

How is the database being shared? Are you using Filemaker Server?

I want them to be able to add data to fields, but not to be able to upload the database and make any changes to it. Is there any way of disabling admin rights in this way?

The way to do this is via user accounts and privilege sets. There should be one admin account which has Full Access rights. Do not share the admin account with anyone else.

You can then set up a variety of of other privilege sets, according to your needs. Do so in a way that will prevent other users from making changes to the structure of the database.

When you create user accounts you assign them one of the privilege sets.

What do you mean when you say "not to be able to upload the database" ?

malcolm

• 4. Re: Filemaker Go Permissions
                Malcolm

What I would like to prevent is someone taking a filemaker go database and uploading it via itunes to their own PC/Mac and then having full access to the file.

Set up permissions as described in my previous email to protect your data.

If you give a person the file they own the file. They can do what they like to try to open it.

If you share the file using Filemaker server or by using filemaker's built in networking they cannot download it via iTunes.

Malcolm

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Filemaker Go Permissions
                  melastudio

Il giorno 20/mar/2013, alle ore 08:54, olliecollins <noreply@filemaker.com> ha scritto:

What I would like to prevent is someone taking a filemaker go database and uploading it via itunes to their own PC/Mac and then having full access to the file

If you Share the database I suppose that there is FMServer or, at least, a FileMaker Client that share it; via intranet or via WEB.

It's the only way to be sure your data (if you disable export) and your file are safe.

If you clone the DB onto multiple devices you will never have aDB in syncro and the file it's ALWAYS accessible via iTunes

Davide

Davide Puppo

• 6. Re: Filemaker Go Permissions
                    olliecollins

many thanks for your helpful replies.

For development purposes, I have been downloading the DB to iOS devices (as opposed to using FM Server) and wanted to prevent any of my testers being able to take their iOS device and upload the fm file to their own PC/Mac and then either copy or change the DB.

I have set up the user accounts as you described, and hopefully that will solve my problem.

many thanks again

• 7. Re: Filemaker Go Permissions
                      hbrendel

You can test for platform in your startup script. If it's not iOS: show a dialog stating that it's not allowed etc. and then close the file.

http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/func_ref2.32.78.html#1031488