7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 12:52 AM by psijmons

Extension folder FMP11 vs FMP12

psijmons

In another discussion, Alan Stirling made the following remark:

Secondly, there is now a shared folder for FileMaker plug-ins, which can be accessed by FMP 11 and 12.

I am running both FMPA11 and FMPA12 on the same developer machine (Mac OSX) and I do see crashes when e.g. the 360Works SuperContainer plugin is both in the original folder Applications/FMPA11/Extensions and in the ~/Library/Application Support/FMP/12.0/Extensions folder.

Is it true that FMP11 can also look in this folder? (using the adjusted path for version nr 11.0/Extensions) ?

I did try this some time ago and it didn't solve the crashes, but I did not try this in detail moving all plugins around.

• 1. Re: Extension folder FMP11 vs FMP12
          timwhisenant

Hi,

A version conflict among the plug-ins can cause a crash. Best IMHO to have only one copy of each plug-in  in FM and store them all in the common extensions folder. Both 11 and 12 will read from there and be happy.

HTH

Tim

• 2. Re: Extension folder FMP11 vs FMP12
            timwhisenant

Filemaker Server 11

Guide to updating Plug-ins

Page 7

Gives the installation path for plug-in files.

WinXP = C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Application Data\FileMaker\Extensions\

WinVista & 7 = C:\users\user_name\AppData\Local\FileMaker\Extensions\

Mac OS X = Macintosh HD/Users/user_name/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/Extensions/

Then gives the startup sequence for loading plug-ins:

"When starting, FileMaker Pro first loads the plug-ins stored in the current user’s FileMaker Extensions folder. If a particular plug-in is not found in that folder, FileMaker Pro searches for that plug-in in the Extensions folder for the FileMaker Pro application."

FileMaker version 12 uses these same locations.

HTH

Tim

• 3. Re: Extension folder FMP11 vs FMP12
              psijmons

Thanks Tim, that fixed it.

And there was indeed an old version of the SC plugin wandering around.

Peter

• 4. Re: Extension folder FMP11 vs FMP12
                AlanStirling

Hi Peter

Just a minor comment on your original post.

On my MacBook Pro 10.8.3, I have installed FMP 11 & 12 and FMPA 11 & 12.

My 'FileMaker' folder within 'Application Support' has only one folder called 'Extensions', which I believe is accessed by both FMP(A) 11 & 12.

I also have two other folders there called 'FileMaker Pro' and 'FileMaker Pro Advanced'. But each of these contains just a '12.0' folder, holding the 'server.pem' and 'root.pem' files, so on my machine there is only one 'Extensions' folder in this 'FileMaker' folder.

To explain more clearly, you say that your path to the 'Extensions' folder is: '~/Library/Application Support/FMP/12.0/Extensions/',

whereas mine is: '~/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/Extensions/'.

I don't believe I have changed anything here - this is just the way that FileMaker has set up these folders itself. 

I don't see that FileMaker would be able to navigate to another 'Extensions' folder if the path was different?

So my comment is to say that many FileMaker Pro 12 installations can be unknowingly sharing plug-ins that were originally installed for FileMaker Pro 11 and that if the paths to the 'Extensions' folder are different from the standard, I'm not certain that FileMaker knows how to adjust for this.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 5. Re: Extension folder FMP11 vs FMP12
                  BowdenData

AlanStirling wrote:

To explain more clearly, you say that your path to the 'Extensions' folder is: '~/Library/Application Support/FMP/12.0/Extensions/',

whereas mine is: '~/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/Extensions/'.

I don't believe I have changed anything here - this is just the way that FileMaker has set up these folders itself. 

I don't see that FileMaker would be able to navigate to another 'Extensions' folder if the path was different?

Alan,

There actually is a new folder for FMP12:  ~/Library/Application Support/FMP/12.0/Extensions/

If you were to use the new install plugin function in FMP12, it will put them in this new path (and create any folders necessary to do so). This was definitely mentioned in the FMP12 documentation and was also part of one of the updates for 12. I could guess that they are moving towards a future where each version will have it's own extensions folder.

As pointed out in this thread, FMP12 will still load extensions from the previous or common folder as well. I too have had a few issues with some plugins that are not happy being installed in multiple locations. This can easily happen if you use the new function in FMP12 as it will happily install into its new folder regardless of the same plugin already being in the common folder. That is why I think it is important to check whether a plugin is installed/loaded via scripting before blindly running the new function in 12.

HTH.

Doug

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Extension folder FMP11 vs FMP12
                    AlanStirling

Hi Doug

Thanks for explaining that!

I have to admin to not yet using the new install Plug-in function, so I haven't even got an /Application Support/FMP/ folder ...

I do now remember being told about this new extensions folder, which means that we now have three places to check for rogue extensions!

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 7. Re: Extension folder FMP11 vs FMP12
                      psijmons

Thank you Doug, I do indeed use the new scriptstep for plugin installation and the /Extensions/12.0/ folder was created.

The conflict was probably due to similar plugins residing in FMP or FMPA folders from older versions.

I cleaned up all extension forlders from FMP8.5, 9, 10, 11,  Pro and Avanced, so lots of potential conflicts there.

(Alan, I was just being lazy shortening the folderpath with .../FMP/Exntensions)

Peter

p.s.  did some more testing. It looks as if SuperContainer plugin can not be used when you have FMPA11 and FMPA12 open at the same machine.

To be honest, I have quite a mixed set up here:

On local machine I run FMServer11 and SC in standalone version,

then on another server FMServer12 where SC is inside the WPE of FMserver.

Too many variables and not enough time to test all combinations.

Other plugins I am using look OK so far:

2EmpowerFM_DeveloperAssistant

myFMbutle.ClipManagerBridge

Themestudio

Toolbox