2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 3:21 PM by Malcolm

Designing for Windows and Mac

Hi all,

For a custommer I'm developing a solution that should run on mac as on windows. I know the custommer uses only 1280 x 1024 screens and I want to use customised centered dialog windows.

Has anyone some kind of best practice on how to design for both platforms?

- Avoiding two scrollbars on the right

- Maximizing the window but still use some kind of popup centered windows.

- Get rid of the annoying mouse-weel / trackpad scroll that switches the records when the status bar is not hidden.

- Take in account differences in themes, taskbar is hidden or visible

I'm using a enter layout script trigger that defines wether it's a mac or pc and hope to solve all the layout issues in that script.

Any link to some good info would realy help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Designing for Windows and Mac
          BruceHerbach

HI,

At this point,  I am assuming that you are using FileMaker version 12.  So here are a few tips.

• In Layout mode if you are showin the status toolbar there should be a size icon toward the right side of the layout.  Use one of the standard sizes for your layouts or set a custom size that will work for you. 
          • In layout mode use the inspector.  On the position tab there are auto-sizing locks.  For an object with an upper and left lock enabled it will be fixed in a position to the upper left corner of the layout.  If locked to the right, it will slide to the right when the layout is expanded by the user.  If locked to the botton it will move down when expanded vertically by the user.  If locked to both left and right or top and bottom or all 4 it will expand when the user increases the size of the layout.  Get used to using these.
          • When you open a new window,  use the Adjust window[resize to fit] script step.  
          • Open the layout on both a mac and windows to verify that things look good.
          • Look into using script steps that start with Get(Windowxxx) where xxx include items like ContentHeight, Height, left DesktopHeight and Desktopwidth.  They can be used to determine the available space and used in combination with Move/resize window script step to set the window size.
          • You can control the taskbar using scripts and custom menus.

You may want to take a look at the FileMaker Magazine site.  http://www.filemakermagazine.com/  They have a number of articals on layouts.  These might be helpful.  For the full video and demo files you have to subscribe.  There may be enought in the demo versions of the videos and description to at least put you on the right track.

HTH

Bruce

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Designing for Windows and Mac
            Malcolm

Has anyone some kind of best practice on how to design for both platforms?

The simplest rule of thumb is this: if it works on windows it will work on the mac

Common problems are window sizing (Mac doesn't do maximised window in the same way as Windows), Font Selection (use a "universal" font) and Font Sizing ( Windows fonts are a little wider. When working on the Mac type a single space after any text in a label to allow for this ).

malcolm