5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 4:52 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Oracle driver - 11g = 11g_home1?

Mike_Mitchell

Good day. We're having some trouble connecting a FM 12 solution to some Oracle instances. The docs say 11g is supported. My Oracle support person has installed several DSNs on the server, and insists there's nothing wrong. The DSNs all test good, and I can import using them. However, trying to connect over ESS is a failure; the DSNs do not show up in the External Data Sources dialog.

I noticed that the driver is "Oracle in OraClient11g_home1". I haven't seen that particular version before. Does anyone know if that's the same driver as "11g", or if I should look elsewhere for the connection issue?

Mike

• 1. Re: Oracle driver - 11g = 11g_home1?
          greglane

Hi Mike,

FileMaker Pro (and FileMaker Server scheduled scripts) requires a 32-bit DSN. If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, you must use a 64-bit DSN and ODBC driver for FileMaker Server 12 ESS data sources.

Greg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Oracle driver - 11g = 11g_home1?
            Mike_Mitchell

Thanks, Greg. So if I need to do imports via Pro or scheduled scripts, and I have ESS connections, I need both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers?

Mike

• 3. Re: Oracle driver - 11g = 11g_home1?
              Mike_Mitchell

Greg -

This is what I'm getting from my Oracle guy:

"Yes, but only one Oracle Home can be default.  You will need to somehow control what you are getting from which Oracle Home.  If not, you will most likely cross-link the Homes, which usually does not function very well.

"The 32 bit client should work with a 64 bit app."

Help.       

Mike

• 4. Re: Oracle driver - 11g = 11g_home1?
                greglane

Mike,

I'm certain your Oracle guy knows more about Oracle than I do.

My experience with FileMaker 12 has been that in order to use ESS with the server's DSN with files hosted by FileMaker Server 12 on a 64-bit version of Windows, a 64-bit DSN and ODBC driver must be used. Fmserver.exe is a 64-bit process and it won't work with a 32-bit DSN. Scheduled scripts are run by fmsase.exe, which is still a 32-bit process. It won't work with a 64-bit DSN. FileMaker Pro.exe is a 32-bit process. It will only work with a 32-bit DSN.

I haven't experienced any problems with having both 32-bit and 64-bit DSNs on a server, but I am certainly not an Oracle expert. If it is a problem in your environment, you could consider installing FileMaker Server on a 32-bit version of Windows or you could choose not to run ODBC imports via FileMaker Pro or scheduled scripts on the server. You could always do the import with FileMaker Pro on a different workstation with its own 32-bit DSN.

Greg

• 5. Re: Oracle driver - 11g = 11g_home1?
                  Mike_Mitchell

Thanks, Greg. Still pursuing ...

Mike