4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 3:04 PM by wimdecorte

Send .net commands via FM script?  (FMdotNET in reverse)

DrewTenenholz

All --

I have a Mac-based non-profit client that is exploring the options for the database systems they use to manage membership. Right now, members interact with a self-hosted website that uses the FM PHP API and interacts with FileMaker records & scripts to do the appropriate action. It's a very easy-to-use (basically a single web page) site, and it is doing the basic job and gives some useful reports.

We are looking for other systems to manage membership and help people get more involved (and donate more) while still maintaining the current capabilities. I don't really want to take the time & effort & cost to make a fully functional FileMaker-based membership system & website, given that other companies are already doing the same, and probably better. I'm trying to figure out ways to fold all of this together, so any ideas are helpful (sites, methods, etc.)

One system we are currently looking at (called YourMembership.com) would allow me to communicate with their databases using a .net framework. Does anyone know if there is a plugin that allows me to SEND .net commands with a FileMaker script?

-- Drew Tenenholz

P.S. I was hoping to use the FMNexus WebServices plugin, but there is no published WSDL for the YourMembership API. I know I can use ScriptMaster/Troi-URL/several others to create the underlying https POST commands that are at the heart of the interaction, but is there a tool out there that makes this easier than hand-coding based on the .net documentation?

• 1. Re: Send .net commands via FM script?  (FMdotNET in reverse)
          timcimbura

If they allow you to access the underlying database structure (likely MS SQL Server if it's .NET), you could access data via FileMaker ESS.

Tim

• 2. Re: Send .net commands via FM script?  (FMdotNET in reverse)
            wimdecorte

No tools...

On Windows you could do this using PowerShell as that one is .NET compliant.  From a Mac that won't work.  At least not easily.  You could install the Mono framework (=the .NET framework ported ot OSX) but you'd still have to figure out how to execute commands.

I think the .NET angle is the wrong one here.  It looks like their API is XML based so ScriptMaster would seem like a good fit.

• 3. Re: Send .net commands via FM script?  (FMdotNET in reverse)
              DrewTenenholz

Wim --

I agree that ScriptMaster is probably the way to go, I just hate having to write a lot of XML wrapper/parser code at the client's expense.  What I love about Vince Manano's WebServices plugin is that is takes a WSDL and installs all of the functions into the 'External Functions' section of the calculation dialog with their function prototypes.  All I have to do is run the function like I would any other External_Function ( param1 ; param2 ; ...paramN ) and the plugin returns the XML response (which I do still have to parse....)

Since the folks at YourMembership.com have already posted a web page that enumerates the API functions in a human-readable form ( https://api.yourmembership.com/reference/1_95/Methods.htm but don't provide a WSDL) I was wondering if there is any way to get the ease of programming similar to WebServices.

I guess I've misunderstood what .net really is, and would appreciate a brief explanation.

-- Drew

>No tools...

>On Windows you could do this using PowerShell as that one is .NET compliant.  From a Mac that won't work.  At least not easily.  You could install the Mono framework (=the .NET framework ported ot OSX) but you'd still have to figure out how to execute commands.

>I think the .NET angle is the wrong one here.  It looks like their API is XML based so ScriptMaster would seem like a good fit.

• 4. Re: Send .net commands via FM script?  (FMdotNET in reverse)
                wimdecorte

Think of .NET as FM's ScriptMaker: it's a bunch of building blocks for programmers to use withotu having to write things from scratch.  Thins like open and closing files, writing to files, making network connections,...

This is a huge oversimplicication of course, there is a lot more to the framework than that, but it'll do for this purpose