4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 8:32 AM by pmconaway

What am I doing wrong Data Entry Only User getting access issues.

pmconaway

Here is the setup

Database - file options - set to db to change to "Home Page" layout at Startup. Also have file Script Trigger "OnFirstWindowOpen" calling "startup script"

All Scripts in DB are set to "Run Script with Full Access Privileges"

When a user with the filemaker default access privilege set - "Data Entry Only" tries to access the database they get this dialog box before any windows upon up. "Your access Privileges do not allow you to perform this action" upon clicking the OK button the user is taken back to the username and password dialog box.

If I attempt this with the script debugger on. This happens before any scripts show in the debugger window.

Now the startup script builds a virtual list and then takes the user to the "Home Page" layout which displays the built virtual list for the user to select the appropriate client to work with. I have verified that all scripts have the check box checked to run with full privileges.

HELP!!!

What am I missing? I can't figure out why this level of user is getting this message. Everything works fine when I login via a "Full Access" account. Any help is appreciated.

Paul

• 1. Re: What am I doing wrong Data Entry Only User getting access issues.
          AlanStirling

Hi Paul

You seem to want your system to be very secure ...

Perhaps you have accidentally turned off access to run the Startup Script?

This is controlled in the Set Privileges area of the Security dialog box.  From memory the three option for scripts are: No Access, Execute Only, Modify. You need to choose Execute Only.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

Alan Stirling Technology Ltd, 135 Lisson Grove, London NW1 6UP

+44 (0) 20 7724 2456 - alan@ast.fm - www.ast.fm.

FileMaker Certified Developer for versions 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.

• 2. Re: What am I doing wrong Data Entry Only User getting access issues.
            pmconaway

Alan, if I look at the Details in the Edit Priviledge set dialog box. Scripts are set to "All Executeable only". This is one of the privilege sets provided by Filemaker. I can't edit the value for scripts.

Paul

• 3. Re: What am I doing wrong Data Entry Only User getting access issues.
              AlanStirling

Hi Paul

I had forgotten that these settings are not modifiable.

So next, turn off the link to the Startup Script in File Options and see if you get the same error.

I suspect that this will work - pointing to a problem with your startup script - even though it fails before the debugger starts!

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

• 4. Re: What am I doing wrong Data Entry Only User getting access issues.
                pmconaway

I will try that. Another database by a different developer here in the office is getting the same issue. I'm going to check to see if he is executing any scripts. I will reply back after I check. I'm going to visit his cube after writing this. If he isn't running any scripts, is there a server setting? Both databases are being surved via FMPServer 12 advanced.

Paul

Update: other developers DB isn't running any scripts and is still getting the same issue.

UPDATE 2: I figured out the problem. For some reason the access privilege "Data Entry Only" no longer had the extended privilege "Access via Filemaker network" unchecked. I checked this and logged into the DB with a Data Entry only" account and had no problems.

What is a little troublesome is that I didn't specifically do anything to any of the priviledge sets. I only created the accounts and assigned them to the appropriate priviledge set provided by Filemaker.

Alan, thanks for your suggestions.