6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 10:58 AM by RonSmithMD

FileMaker Pro and the savedState feature of Mac OS X

RonSmithMD

I'm having issues with the savedState files in Mac OS X occasionally. For example, one of our client customers experienced a FileMaker Pro crash on just one of their computers, and tried for an hour to reopen FileMaker Pro only to have it immediately crash before even the database choice dialog would appear. It finally did open though I'm not privy to the specific sequence of events they tried to resolve the situation.

I also had three computers (my personal laptop included) that, just the other day, did the same thing after I had installed the new Troi Activator update in the plugins table for that database. (My database automatically checks that table for any updates to plugins and installs them accordingly using the newer container technologies FileMaker implemented to accomplish that.)

The only solution was to delete the folder ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.filemaker.client.pro12.savedState (or com.filemaker.client.advanced12.savedState for mine) which contains the Mac OS X savedState files specific to each application that opens.

There are a couple of 'solutions' that I've found but nothing so simple as a checkbox in a System Preferences panel. One solution was to quit FileMaker, then lock the above mentioned savedState folder. Another one uses the terminal command below, though I am not sure this works in Mountain Lion (my deleted folder still reappeared when I opened FileMaker Pro but the modification times are not changed in later reopenings).

defaults write com.filemaker.client.advanced12.savedState NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false

Any comments or suggestions (especially from FileMaker staff) would be appreciated. This seems to be a real problem and I would be interested to understand much more about the specifics of how FileMaker Pro interacts with Mac OS and the savedState feature at the base level.

Ron

• 1. Re: FileMaker Pro and the savedState feature of Mac OS X
          taylorsharpe

Ron, you always come up with the most amazing and indepth questions <grin>.  I doubt anyone here can answer this and you'll probably have to get a FM systems engineer to investigate.  Maybe you should try to get a trouble ticket with them.  At my level of development, I just reinstall the software, which fixes it most of the time.  I am assuming that did not work for you in these cases. 

Best of luck!

• 2. Re: FileMaker Pro and the savedState feature of Mac OS X
            RonSmithMD

I wasn't at the client's location to remove the savedState folder, but after about an hour of retrying, the nurse did finally get FileMaker Pro up so that she could select a database.

The interesting thing is that I had seen something similar to this when FileMaker 12 first came out and I think I did reinstall it. I can't remember if that resolved the issue or not. I think I had Lion running at the time when they still had the checkbox that you could uncheck so that it wouldn't reopen all existing windows upon restart. That is part of the savedState feature. The problem for sure was with Mountain Lion but it was erratic.

Thanks for your response.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Pro and the savedState feature of Mac OS X
              Stephen Huston

"... one of our client customers experienced a FileMaker Pro crash on just one of their computers, and tried for an hour to reopen FileMaker Pro only to have it immediately crash before even the database choice dialog would appear. It finally did open though I'm not privy to the specific sequence of events they tried to resolve the situation."

Could part of their problem be that FM was reporting a license conflict with the same copy of FM already being in use, so that the app kept quiting? That is a common occurance on a computer where FM crashes and is re-opened without a reboot to clear the FM settings.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Pro and the savedState feature of Mac OS X
                RonSmithMD

Good thought, but there hadn't been any connection attempt to FMS. This crash preempted the dialog from which to select a database to work with.

Ron

• 5. Re: FileMaker Pro and the savedState feature of Mac OS X
                  Stephen Huston

Any resolution on this?

I would note that one need not try to connnect to a server for a crashed  App to throw a license conflict. FMP tests for network license conflicts before allowing the user to try connecting, thus shortstopping the reuse of the license during application launch.

I found that a reboot with the network connection disabled from the computer hardware (pulling the ethernet cable, etc) was required to clear error in some cases.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Pro and the savedState feature of Mac OS X
                    RonSmithMD

Nope. Nothing from FileMaker either, but that has been my usual experience over the years unfortunately.

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle