1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 8:22 PM by databuzz

Admin Console, Java 7, Mac OS X 10.7/8 and "keep you guessing clicking"

itraining

G'day everyone

Encountered a "weird" issue helping a new client access their FMS12 Server using the Admin Console from their MacBook Pro(s) and Mac Mini. The Admin Console launches and the users successfully log into the console. However, using the Admin Console tool is a nightmare because the cursor clicking coordinates do not match the intended interface target.

On the 2 MacBook Pros running Mac OS X 10.8.3 and Java 7 Update 17 you need to click "two lines" above your target.

Example 1: want to click "Databases"? Don't click "Databases", click "Administration" (2 lines bove "Databases") instead and "Databases" will be selected.

Example 2: want to click "Web Publishing"? Don't click "Web Publishing", click "Administrator Groups" (2 lines above "Web Publishing") instead and "Web Publishing" will be selected.

Example 3: want to click the "Action" pop-up menu in "Databases" to open/close/upload a database? Don't click the "Action" pop-up menu, click "two lines above" the menu to select the menu

On the Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.7.2(?) and Java 7 Update 17, you have to click "two lines below" the target.

Example 1: want to click "Databases"? Don't click "Databases", click "Statistics" (2 lines below "Databases") instead and "Databases" will be selected.

On the iMac desktop running Mac OS X 10.8.3 and Java 7 Update 17, the Admin Console works as expected.

Example 1: click "Databases" and you get "Databases".

Example 2: click the "Action" pop-up menu in "Databases" to open/close/upload a database and you can select the command you targeted.

QUESTION: Has anyone else encountered this weird Admin Console behaviour using Mac OS X 10.7 or 10.8 on MacBook Pro or Mac Mini? If so, can you suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Richards

Brisbane (Australia)

• 1. Re: Admin Console, Java 7, Mac OS X 10.7/8 and "keep you guessing clicking"
          databuzz

Hi Michael,

I actually experienced a similar issue this week. A client got a new Mac (not sure which one) and I had to configure FileMaker Server for them. I was doing this using the Screen Sharing app via VNC so put it down to using a VNC connection remotely at the time but it was strange - once I worked out the offset of where I needed to click I was able to get some work done.

Next time I have to connect I'll see if I have the same experience.

Andrew