4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 1:30 PM by Linda@compu-books.com

FileMaker 12 and cvs/tab exports greyed out for AccountEdge

Linda@compu-books.com

Since upgrading to FMv12, the csv and tab exports out of FileMaker cannot be selected in AccountEdge for importing and are greyed out. It worked fine in FMv11. If I open the files in Excel and resave as csv they CAN be selected with AE. I have tried every 'type' option for the export, but the file still cannot be read. Anyone have a solution?

Linda

-------

Linda Carter

www.compu-books.com

• 1. Re: FileMaker 12 and cvs/tab exports greyed out for AccountEdge
          usbc

Linda,

I've found that same issue for importing into  applications other than AccountEdge. I find that if I export as merge type and just name(save) it with .csv it works Ok. Maybe you already tried that.

Chuck

• 2. Re: FileMaker 12 and cvs/tab exports greyed out for AccountEdge
            Linda@compu-books.com

Chuck, the merge type of extension did not work for me, but changing it to .txt did work.  This is a work around, but still doesn't answer the question as to why FileMaker exports of csv or tab types cannot be used by AccountEdge.  They were fine without the extension change in FMv11.  I don't really want to tell my clients that use these exports every day that their new FileMaker UPGRADE has taken them a step backwards...

The AccountEdge people could not tell me anything, other than to use .txt.  I tried to save the file as .txt from FileMaker, but it won't let me do that either.  If I use both extensions. the file ends with .txt.tab, and is useless for AccountEdge until I manually take off the .tab extension.

Linda

-------

Linda Carter

www.compu-books.com

Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 10.41.58 AM.png

• 3. Re: FileMaker 12 and cvs/tab exports greyed out for AccountEdge
              usbc

I fully agree and share your frustration.

If you want to extend the work-around to avoid the need of manually messing with renaming the file extension you can use a variable.

This is part of a script which (in this case), names the export and places it in a know folder labeled Operations on the desktop. In other instances you can offer the user a custom dialog to insert a name or however suits your needs. The point I'm making is how to insert the extension (.txt in your case).

If [ Get ( SystemPlatform ) = -2 ] Set Variable [ $FilePath; Value:"filewin:" & Main::Desktop Path & "Operations_" & Month ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) &"_" & Day ( Get

Else

( CurrentDate ) )&"_" & Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) & DayName ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) & ".csv" ]

Set Variable [ $FilePath; Value:"filemac:" & Main::Desktop Path & "Operations_" & Month ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) &"_" & Day ( Get ( CurrentDate ) )&"_" & Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) & DayName ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) & ".csv" ]

Export Records [ File Name: “$FilePath”; Character Set: “Macintosh”; Field Order: Operations::Author

• 4. Re: FileMaker 12 and cvs/tab exports greyed out for AccountEdge
                Linda@compu-books.com

Chuck, that did it!  If I script the file name with no dialog, it works, but if we give the user the dialog to name the file, it errors.  Thanks so much for that tip!

Linda

------

Linda Carter

www.compu-books.com