4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 8:19 PM by EKZ

FM12 Best Practices for Managing Folder Structure to Display Locations of Container Files.

ArchitectureConceptsLighting

Sort of new at this. Have a few seats of FM 12 for users, FM 12 Server, Macs platform, etc. Trying to figure out how to insert PDF and Image files to specific fold locations using open storage. Not worried about security. Concerned mainly about keeping qulity organizational system for filing PDF and Imag docs to specific project, product folders, etc using a handful of container field disignated for certain catagories.

Example might be pdf format of several drawaing files per record that are inserted in saparate container / record that are scripted to go to individual folders.Each folder name might include job name and job number based on the documents project name/number. All of these separate job folders would live in a single folder named "Job Files" or "Folders".Would be graet to have for each document display the file path in a field next to the container. One container field per record.

Would like to be able to be in control of where doc goes upon insert in container, file pathe where doc lives and retrival of file via container. Perhaps one container for 1) Job Files another for 2) Product data sheets

3) Product images and so on.

• 1. Re: FM12 Best Practices for Managing Folder Structure to Display Locations of Container Files.
          LyndsayHowarth

My preference is to always generate the path based on the database structure so it can be calculated and moved elsewhere easily if necessary. Whereever you place the "Job Files" folder should easily be able to be changed once so that if moved the entire collection is updated.

If you name your files right, you can display the images or documents by calculation. I would come up with a formular which looks at the following sort of structure:

Job Files > Client >Job No > image_ID_purpose.xtn

You could rearrange this to include year etc but basicaly the image name must end up unique inside the last folder so probably Job No on its own is not enough.

If you import one file as a reference, you can then do a calculation to capture the path to the Job Files folder then put that in a global. Use the getastext(image) function to calculate this.

Most of my solutions also control the placement of files and the creation of the folders by uploading using PHP so that there can be no errors caused by manual filing.

HTH

- Lyndsay

• 2. Re: FM12 Best Practices for Managing Folder Structure to Display Locations of Container Files.
            ArchitectureConceptsLighting

Gosh thank you so much for your prompt reply. Am kind of sort of grasping parts of what you said but am kind of lost too. If I may, let me sumerize what I may kind of understand combined with being lost:

1) Calculated and moved elsewhere. My worst fear is to loose track and have a nightmare. Does the calc have to be pretty advanced? Trying to picture how you avoid lossing the "link" if and when the collection were moved. Right now I have been toying around with a folder structure simular to your but know if I got ya. I messed up with my habbit to save I think I would do this n a word doc first... more to come latter on this evening.

• 3. Re: FM12 Best Practices for Managing Folder Structure to Display Locations of Container Files.
              keywords

To me the simplest way with FM12 is let FM store the container contents where it chooses, but if you want ot specify a location for open storage as you seem to prefer then you can do this as a calc accessible in the storage options for each container field—therefore it is possible for you to specify a separate location and/or folder for each field.

As regards your other requirement:  Would be graet to have for each document display the file path in a field next to the container

This can be achieved by creating a text calc field using GetAsText ( yourContainerField ).

• 4. Re: FM12 Best Practices for Managing Folder Structure to Display Locations of Container Files.
                EKZ

Lyndsay and Keywords: Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Really new to this so I appoligize: Answer's are in the order presented:

Lyndsay:

1) Sorry, would not know where to begin with that calculation

2) & 3) Please see my attached files.  Tryed to interpeted your explaination with my limited knowledge of FM.

4) Not following totally but maybe slightly

5) Same as 2 & 3

6) This sounds silly but do not have experiance using PHP folders

Keywords:

1) Never tryed to hard with that approach for I may be insecure about where the files went. I have put tons of time in the approach where we have placed most of the focus so far. Worked on a FM sample

file all day today and many more hours prior.

2) & 3) are similarlar responces to my items 2 & 3 above.

Hmmm, Can't attach my files. When I select my files it says "\fakepath\Container Questions.fmp12" under Attach Files. I guess file paths don't like me in all cases. Now I have

to learn how to attach files to TechNet's forums. I produced a sample FM file based on your recomendations - with my limited knowlege. Also created a PDF of the record and can't attach that either.

Thanks!

BTW: Decided to copy paste PDF bellow until I figure out how to send attachments.....

Field:ID_PRJ

Content: PRJ001

Field:

prj_container_open

page1image1680

Buttton: |S01| Insert Prj Document File

sert Prj Document File

Buttton: |S04| Place Prj Document in

Folder (Export Field Contents)

sert Prj Document File

Field: Prj_File_Name:  Content: Best Practices in Container Storage

Field: Prj_File_Name: Content: PPH

Field: prj_comments

Content:

1) Manage Container is sent for Generate Thumbnails and Temporary Storage

2} Script Step: Set variable [$SPlaceholder_Job_File; Value: Set Container Questions:: g_prj_assign_a_path] doesn't work.

3) I think do to path starting with imagemac instead of filemac. Used specify output file instead.

4) Decided to go with Specify Output File for now.

5) Container field definition option is "Open"

Field: g_prj_assign_a_path

Content: imagemac:/JOB FILE/FM Storage Stay Out!!/FMBD|EZ|StayOut02/Path Placeholder/PRJ001_PPH.pdf

Button: |S02| Script Name: Set_Field; Prj_Container_Data - Via Variable

|S02| Script Name: Set_Field; Prj_Container_Data - Via Variable

Field: prj_set_field_container_data

Content: size:792,612
                image:PRJ001_PPH.pdf
                imagemac:/JOB FILE/FM Storage Stay Out!!/FMBD|EZ|StayOut02/Path Placeholder/PRJ001_PPH. pdf

Button: |S03|  Get_As_Text (Cont_Field) - Set_Field; Prj_Container - Via Variable

|S013| Get_As_Text (Cont_Field) - Set_Field; Prj_Container - Via Variable

Field: prj_path_get_as_text

Content: size:792,612

image:PRJ001_PPH.pdf
                imagemac:/JOB FILE/FM Storage Stay Out!!/FMBD|EZ|StayOut02/Path Placeholder/PRJ001_PPH. pdf