13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 8:44 AM by ResoluteSystems

FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles

ResoluteSystems

Am I alone in finding this update impossible to install and configure for IWP on OS X 10.7? This is on a Core i5 Mac mini running OS X 10.7 with OS X Server 1.5 web publishing accessed via VNC.

First problem -

Java update 7 appears to have serious problems over Screen Sharing connections. Windows appear blank, including the Java Prefs window. So, it isn't possible to clear the Java cache after installing Jave update 7. The workaround is ridiculous - to force refreshes, after every field entry or mouse click adjust the size of the Java window. To refresh fixed size dialogue windows, drag them off the bottom of the Screen Sharing window, all but a few pixels of the window header, then drag them back again. Then clear the Java cache. Then install FM Server 12.0.4, in this case with a Server Advanced licence code.

Second -

After saving the databases and deleting the 12.0.3 installation, the downloaded Admin_Console_Webstart.jnlp never autostarts. A simple workaround is to start it from the Safari downloads list.

Third -

Configure FM Server whilst stretching the Console window and dragging dialogues around several times on every page. Such fun!

Fourth -

The deployment assistant doesn't allow deployment of IWP, although it is reported as Enabled. HTTP pages are being served by Apache, but trying to connect to a dtabase delivers an error in the browser "The requested URL /fmi/iwp/cgi was not found on this server". The Console Overview page Status message reads "An error was encountered communicating with the server and the Web Server is not configured." I haven't found a workaround for that yet.

This isn't what we're used to from FMI. Did someone forget to test this update?

Colin

• 1. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
          Lemmtech

I'n not running server 12 except for on client thank goodness but it's not clear to me what the point of this update is anyway except to force things not to work on now depreciated OS's and hardware doesn't seem like an update worth installing.

• 2. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
            ResoluteSystems

Update to my original post.

IWP finally deployed after re-installing FMSA again. That makes the server operational, so my immediate problem is solved. The Java / VNC screen drawing problem remains.

Colin

• 3. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
              BruceHerbach

Java 7 does not display information on headless servers.  On my system,  a Mac Mini Server running Lion it won't even show information when you run the Java console in  System Preferences.

I reported this problem to Oracle a few months back.  They gave me this link to the bug report. 

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=9000009.

However when I try it,  it comes up with no result. 

Not sure I'm going to install this update until Java fixes this.  If I do,  I have to add a monitor to this server.  

• 4. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
                wimdecorte

Lemmtech wrote:

it's not clear to me what the point of this update is anyway except to force things not to work on now depreciated OS's and hardware doesn't seem like an update worth installing.

The point is as it clearly says: to remove the dependency on Java 6 and switch all of that over to java 7.

The update DOES NOT force things to stop working on deprecated platforms.  You've got that completely wrong.  FMI is listing platforms that it will end support for at some future date so that you have fair warning of that.

The only exception is OSX 10.6 since that is not supported in Java 7 by Oracle and Apple gave up on maintaining their own version of the JRE.

• 5. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
                  LSNOVER

I did the update as well.  My web services will not start and run properly now.  I removed everything, reinstalled, still no go on the web services.  It is frustrating to have something that was working stop working for no apparent reason.

• 6. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
                    ResoluteSystems

If your experience is like mine, you can get back in business via Screen Sharing as follows:

In System Prefs, open the Java Prefs.

To re-draw the empty Java Prefs window, drag it beyond the Screen Sharing window bottom border, except for a few pixels of the window header, then drag it back again.

Empty the Java cache. More buggering about with window dragging to focus on the OK button and apply the change.

Empty the Safari cache.

In Safari Prefs / Security, check Java is enabled.

On the desktop double click FMS Start Page and click Start Admin Console. Safari downloads the Java applet and fails to open it.

In the Safari downloads list, double click the top item, Admin_Console_Webstart.jnlp.

Stretch its window to draw its contents.

Work your way through configuring FM Server,  with more stretching / dragging the active window to apply every field entry and mouse click.

To deploy IWP I had to re-install FMSA again. You may or may not have to do the same.

I hope this works for you.

Colin

• 7. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
                      fmp

> The update DOES NOT force things to stop working on deprecated platforms.  You've got that completely wrong. 

> The only exception is OSX 10.6

Therefore he is 100% completely right about forcing 12.0v4 Server to stop working on OS X 10.6.

I fail to understand why any version of Java should be required.

• 8. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
                        Lemmtech

Yes this is what I meant although I admit my language was poorly worded. If you are using 10.6 and up install this update it seems to imply it will stop working. Wim  I do appreciate you clearing up some of the confusion I was having about this update although it seems that if your v12 server installation is working fine now it's probably best to just leave it alone for the time being. Hopefully the next release of server will see the end of Java for use in Admin console.

• 9. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
                          BruceHerbach

Colin,

Thanks for the tip on dragging the Java app off screen.  This at least makes the current screen visibile.  In order to get it to run most of the buttons on the Java preferances app,  I have to click the button and then drag it off screen and back on.

There was a Java Update available this morning.  I installed it on my server.  Bug is still there. 

The last time I saw a bug like this was back when Windows first came out.  Can't remember the name of the software company,  it wasn't around long,  but it had a similar problem when it failed to update the information on the screen.  Of Course this was on the local PC and the monitor was attached. 

I really can't fathom that Oracle isn't fixing this issue. 

Bruce

• 10. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
                            LyndsayHowarth

I think Oracle telling fibs... I tried lots of random numbers for the bug_id and they all came up not found.

Maybe internally they can see the bugs in their database but I doubt anyone in the public has seen any... ever. (Come on Sun/Oracle... prove it!)

I was over the java interface when they released 9. I have had 7873 WPE1 error messages from my 9 server in the last 12 months... it never got fixed. The WPE falls over every so often after a FMP client times out... I have always been wary about updating it further because it is just as likely to fall over completely.

I have different java versions on all my different machines for all the various problems that the java stuffs up on each machine. I also have a very old webstar server which also uses a java admin and it's never been stable either.

I would forget about the Admin Console except there are commands for Terminal missing from the manual which are critical for managing the server.

I wasted a whole night installing FMS12 on 10.8.3...

Not happy, Jan! (OZ TV ad reference)

- Lyndsay

• 11. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
                              LyndsayHowarth

Windows 1.0 LOL LOL LOL.

You had to install a mouse!!! You had to install your icons!!! It saved the pagesetup at the OS level!!! What a nightmare...

- Lyndsay

• 12. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
                                AnatoleBeams

Um - has anyone tried to download the 12.0.4 update today. I can't get at it.

Have FileMaker taken it down? -

... update

Ah - the link from the downloads page on the website doesn't work for FMS 12.0.4 and FMSA 12.0.4 but it does from http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11601

Anatole

• 13. Re: FM Server Adv 12.0.4 on OSX - complete shambles
                                  ResoluteSystems

It's still downloading for me.

Colin