mbraendle

PHP API, (multidimensional) sorting a related set

Discussion created by mbraendle on Apr 5, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 by JoelShapiro

Already wanted to ask the PHP cracks here, but finally found the solution myself and would like to share it.

I was trying to sort a related set (multiple-field sort) using PHP itself, not by setting up portal sorting in the database, in order to avoid strain on the database server.

After digging through x forum pages proposing techniques such as array_sort_by_column(), array_multisort (which all did not work, usually because they could not handle the complex FileMaker_Result object ) I have found a very simple solution.

In the FileMaker database:

Delete your original portal on the layout and create it again (copy-paste won't work), and add the fields in the sequence they should be sorted.

In your PHP code:

$relatedset = $record->getRelatedSet('your_layout_name');

sort($relatedset);

// foreach ($relatedset as ...

This works if all fields can be sorted in one direction (which did not matter to me in my specific case).

I would be interested to hear what PHP techniques you are using.

In XML/XSLT publishing, one could indicate individual fields for sorting. Example:

<xsl:for-each select="$topic/fmrs:relatedset[@table = 'related_table']/fmrs:record">
<xsl:sort data-type="text" order="ascending" select="fmrs:field[@name = 'related_table_xy::field1']/fmrs:data[1]"/>
<xsl:sort data-type="text" order="ascending" select="fmrs:field[@name = 'related_table_xy_or_z::field2']/fmrs:data[1]"/>

Outcomes