AnsweredAssumed Answered

Setting up my developer environment

Question asked by dalew on Apr 5, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 6, 2013 by LyndsayHowarth

Hi,

I'm new at FileMaker Server development. I'm using OS X Mountain Lion and would like some advice in setting up my development environment for server. The Server Best Practices recommends turning off Spotlight and active antivirus scanning where FileMaker Server is installed. It recommends setting up 3 partitions - 1 for OS, 1 for databases, 1 for backup. How important is any of these recommendations (except for antivirus) on a development machine. Do I have to create seperate partitions or turn off Spotlight? Or is this just for performance? I understand turning off active antivirus scanning on the location where the database files are stored so you don't corrupt the files. But would Spotlight indexing corrupt files?

Also I heard that you should not install FileMaker client on the same machine as server. Is this correct?

Do any of you setup a virtual machine on your dev box just to run FileMaker Server, then install Client on you physical machine?

Also, any advice on the best resources to become a FileMaker guru. I have background in PHP, .NET, C#, but not that much with FileMaker.

I'm using FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced and Server 12.

Thanks,

Dale

Outcomes