7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2013 7:51 PM by MicheleOlson

Update to FMS 12.0v4, Java 7 not operating correctly

MicheleOlson

I appreciate any suggestions anyone may offer.

I updated my FMS server to FMS 12.0v4 this morning. It is running on a Mac Mini [2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo] with Mac OS X 10.7.5, all OS updates in place and current.

When installing FMS 12.0v4, it included the Java 7 installation. (I did follow instructions for install, first uninstalling prior version of FMS12). On the server Mini, I am unable to open Admin Console to access FMS. I've restarted several times, deleted the .jnlp file and pulled a new one several times, all with no luck.

When I look at the Java control panel [Preferences > Java ], the Control Panel refuses to display.

Java does appear to try to run when called by the .jnlp file, but there is some corruption as large black borders appear around the screen. Admin Console attempts to go to the Security screen for initial setup (see below please) and nothing appears beyond a blank window with the heading Security at the top.

I AM ABLE to access the Admin Console from another computer. I was able to set up the security/account/password for the fresh install of FMS 12.0v4 from this computer [also a Mac]. On this Mac, I can view the Java control panel with no issues, so I know what I should be seeing on the server mini. The second Mac has OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) installed, but I don't believe that should be an issue for the server since the tech specs say Lion 10.7 and above. I can access all FM files on the FMS server using Open Remote, so I believe FMS is working at it should; it's just the access to FMS through the Admin Console on the server mini is not.

My guess is there remains some bits of Java 6 on the server and I need to clear them out, but cannot do so through the normal method of using the Control Panel.

I appreciate any direction about where to find all the *bits and pieces* of the Java installation. I think a complete removal and then fresh install of Java 7 would do it.

Thanks in advance.

Michele

• 1. Re: Update to FMS 12.0v4, Java 7 not operating correctly
          BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Michelle,

Get Info on your System Preferences and make sure the "Open in 32-bit mode" is not checked. If it is checked, uncheck it, and try your Java Preferences Pane again. You might want to do the same thing with Safari.

This is a long shot, but not unheard of.

If it doesn't work, in what way does the Java Control Panel refuse to display?

All the best,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 12 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Apr 6, 2013, at 14:11, MicheleOlson wrote

created by MicheleOlson in Server and Server Advanced - View the full discussion

I appreciate any suggestions anyone may offer.

/snip

When I look at the Java control panel , the Control Panel refuses to display.

/snip

• 2. Re: Update to FMS 12.0v4, Java 7 not operating correctly
            c.knall@informa.at

Hi Michelle,

did you already read the following hint (it concerns FMS older than 12.0.4 but maybe its still the same problem)

Admin Console crashes when restricted access has been configured on Mac OS X 10.7 with Java 7

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11357

Regards, Chris

• 3. Re: Update to FMS 12.0v4, Java 7 not operating correctly
              MicheleOlson

Hi Beatrice,

Thanks for the tip. I checked and 32-bit mode is NOT checked so that is not the issue.

Refuses to display means, the Java icon in the Control Panel shows a message saying Java will open in a separate window, which it does, but the Java Control Panel window is blank and remains that way ... 20, 30 minutes later.

On the Mac where this does work, the Java Control Panel shows up quickly and contains information in the General tab with 4 other tabs: Update, Java, Security and Advanced. None of this displays on the Mac with the problematic Java.

Thanks,

Michele

• 4. Re: Update to FMS 12.0v4, Java 7 not operating correctly
                MicheleOlson

Hi Chris,

I did read that, but I did not try the workaround. Since Admin Console works from Mountain Lion with Java 7, I think it is more of a Java install issue rather than a FMS issue, so I didn't want to start deleting config settings and have to redo them if not necessary. May be a last resort, though.

Thanks for the direction.

Michele

• 5. Re: Update to FMS 12.0v4, Java 7 not operating correctly
                  BeatriceBeaubien

Hi Michele,

Preamble:

I hade some headaches with Java 7 update 17 on a Mac OSX 10.7.5 and when I spoke with AppleCare support they suggested reinstalling the Java update and then rebooting. It didn't the resolve my problems, and I could get Admin Console to run (it ended up being the 32-bit mode flag in applications).

Simple-minded suggestion (I can't think of anything else at the moment):

Go to http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp and reinstall the recent update. Reboot. (Does that test page display?) Your comment "Java does appear to try to run when called by the .jnlp file, but there is some corruption as large black borders appear around the screen." may mean the Java update didn't "take", at least in some obscure respect.

Second approach after that is unsuccessful:

A bit more definitive exploration would involve creating another admin user account on that Mac Mini, and seeing if you can get the following to work with that account:

Getting Admin Console working

If not that, at least being able to see the Java Console.

I think the black borders and the Java Console problem are related.

If these don't work, you could call AppleCare support.

Thankfully you have the other computer to configure the server :/.

Best wishes,

Beatrice

On Apr 6, 2013, at 18:06, MicheleOlson wrote

created by MicheleOlson in Server and Server Advanced - View the full discussion

Hi Chris,

I did read that, but I did not try the workaround. Since Admin Console works from Mountain Lion with Java 7, I think it is more of a Java install issue rather than a FMS issue, so I didn't want to start deleting config settings and have to redo them if not necessary. May be a last resort, though.

• 6. Re: Update to FMS 12.0v4, Java 7 not operating correctly
                    wimdecorte

blank java windows (like the control panel, the FMS admin console login,...) are a known java bug in remote sessions.  Doesn't happen when you are working on the machine itself but if you have a remote session to the desktop you'll get this.  There are some workarounds like trying to resize the window or moving most of the window off-screen and then back).

Oracle has been very slow in fixing this....

• 7. Re: Update to FMS 12.0v4, Java 7 not operating correctly
                      MicheleOlson

Thanks for the suggestions, Beatrice. I will try them and as you say, I can remote in from the other computers, so it's not the end of the world.

Thanks, too, Wim. I'll try the move off and back on. Perhaps that will cause a refresh.

I did uninstall Java, restart and then re-install, but no joy. Still the same issue.

In reading other posts, I do see this is not an unusual situation. I'll keep looking and if I find a resolution, I'll be sure to post.

Michele