13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2013 1:01 PM by mikebeargie

Account Log In Caps

MarkNZ

Hi all,

I have noticed that clients can log into the DB using either uppercase or lowercase first letter to there name. How can I change this to make the client use a uppercase first letter as part of the Account login name..

Its just that I have the Account name field in various places in the DB and it looks untidy...Regards

• 1. Re: Account Log In Caps
          MicheleOlson

Just set the format for the field when display so that it uses Title Case.

Michele

• 2. Re: Account Log In Caps
            mikebeargie

I don't know of any way to force it, other than an open script with a case check statement that forces the user out.

IE to force all lowercase:

Let([

user = get(accountname);

caps = Filter(user; "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ");

len = length(caps)

];

if ( len > 0 ; "UH OH" ; "VALID")

)

Else I'd set a global variable $$account on-open with lower(get(accountname)) to use everywhere you need.

• 3. Re: Account Log In Caps
              mikebeargie

I don't believe field level display settings apply to certain things, like exports. That might be an issue.

• 4. Re: Account Log In Caps
                RonSmithMD

There is nothing you can programmatically do to force them to enter case specific logins. I deal with this though, but checking the login against an exact comparison and forcing people to login correctly. This is not because I'm OCD (contrary to what any of the girls at my office might say!) but rather because it is a best practice for my particular paperless medical records solution.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 5. Re: Account Log In Caps
                  MarkNZ

Hi Michele

Is this found in the Inspector or when creating the field.

When i had a look in the inspecter formatting options is greyed out...your thoughts

• 6. Re: Account Log In Caps
                    MarkNZ

Hi Ron,

Could you please explain what you mean by "checking the login against an exact comparison and forcing people to login correctly."..thanks

• 7. Re: Account Log In Caps
                      DrewTenenholz

Mark --

Essentially, you can't.  The FileMaker authentication dialog box field for Account Name field is case-insensitive; the password field IS case-sensitive.  As Michele said, you can format the display of your captured data field as Title Case. 

You could also set up your captured data field to auto-enter, replace field contents as Proper ( Get ( AccountName ) ), which will capitalize the first letter of your single word account names.

Or, you could use a different calculation like  Upper ( Left ( Lower ( Get ( AccountName ) ) ; 1 ) ) & Middle ( Lower ( Get ( AccountName ) ) ; 2 ; Length ( Get ( AccountName ) ) )

Or, you could set up a users table with account names in the format you'd like and use a field from that table as the value for entering into your records.  I know this is a bit more work, but this can give you a lot of other useful features in your system beyond auto-entry for record creation ( e.g. admin user accessible screens for user management, a way to send internal notifications, etc. etc. )

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 8. Re: Account Log In Caps
                        MicheleOlson

MarkNZ,

Either Inspector or Format > Style, but you must select an Object (in this case a field) to allow the command to function.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Account Log In Caps
                          RonSmithMD

Sure. In PaperCutPro, I maintain a user database apart from (but which works together with) the built-in FMP user database. This allows me to create a much more robust user database since the one that is built-in is not expandable. I can add my own specific user privileges for features and functions that are specific to my database. One specific example involves nurses showing up (and not physicians) on certain drop-down lists that only pertains to them. There are certain ones that also only physicians need to be on.

That said, I noticed a long time ago that the log-in was not case specific. It really should be in my opinion and why it was chosen to be case agnostic would be an interesting explanation to hear.

So in the startup script I make the log-in fail the following comparison, then they get to go back and do it right.

Exact ( PaperCutPro::username ; Get ( AccountName ) ) ≠ 1

You see doing Get (AccountName) will return the exact characters they typed in order to get logged in, case and all.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Account Log In Caps
                            MicheleOlson

MarkNZ -

I second Drew's suggestion: "You could also set up your captured data field to auto-enter, replace field contents as Proper ( Get ( AccountName ) ), which will capitalize the first letter of your single word account names."

Nice technique and has the advantage of correcting the entry upon entry, rather than correcting the display of the entry.

Either of these will not solve the issue for a user who's name has mutiple caps, as in Vasco da Gama, which would become incorrect Vasco Da Gama in both instances. If you have these situations, you'll need a more elaborate process to resolve the issue as suggested by Ron Smith.

Michele

• 11. Re: Account Log In Caps
                              MarkNZ

Cool got that sorted..Thanks

• 12. Re: Account Log In Caps
                                MarkNZ

Thanks Ron, Interesting setup you have there..appreciate your reply. Mark

• 13. Re: Account Log In Caps
                                  mikebeargie

If anyone is interested, using LDAP authentication does not solve the issue either, as LDAP is case insensitive for the username as well.