2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2013 10:14 AM by ibrahim_bittar

Using a Blog to Communicate with Clients

richardsrussell

I've struggled for years trying to figure out an efficient way to keep my two-dozen-plus clients up to speed on what I'm doing with their database systems. Relying on my memory to remember what I'd told to whom (and when) wasn't working well, and e-mailing each one individually was too time-consuming. And, having built up a large stable of standard design conventions over the decades, I had lots and lots of things I needed to explain to each new client, and that was an entire task unto itself, over and above designing their system.

I finally hit on the idea of starting a blog, where I could present information in an orderly fashion, in meticulous detail, with pictures, taking as much time as I needed to get it right in the first place, and then just refer people to it as needed.

So I did, and I thot others might like to see that blog as well, as an example of how one developer went about it.

I welcome commentary and especially feedback on how to make it better.

Disclaimer: I am not a web designer. I know only the minimal amount of HTML needed to put together a blog, and that only because I rely heavily on massive infrastructure support from Blogger, without which I would've been completely useless. So please don't snicker or jibe at my bare-bones efforts. I think it's getting the job done.

• 1. Re: Using a Blog to Communicate with Clients
          BTimm

Your basic problem was content management: being able to produce and distribute updates quickly, plus have a ready made search and index for all past updates.  Agreed, email is a horrible toolset for this.

Curious first of all whether Blogger offers you any kind of privacy or security, so that all of your client updates aren't all public, not to mention immediately Google-indexed.

Another alternative you might look into is setting up a free Wiki hosting for each client. We use that for some dedicated internal projects. The advantage here is that it's private and both developer and client have a user-friendly toolset to track changes over time, create on the fly documentation, and manage active projects.

I haven't used this one specifically, but take a look at Team Wiki as an example. I think there are probably a few options out there that allow you to set up a wiki set just like you set up a blog, and some of them either totally free or relatively low-cost.

https://www.teamwikis.com/

• 2. Re: Using a Blog to Communicate with Clients
            ibrahim_bittar

You can try Zendesk.

They have a personal edition that costs $20 a year and it has all the capabilities you need. We run our entire support department on it and just works.

Regards

Ibrahim