6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 1:51 PM by Mike_Mitchell

Struggling with PayPal Integration

Mike_Mitchell

Good day. I'm attempting to integrate with PayPal to accept payment, and it's giving me a devil of a time ... on something that should be simple. (Shouldn't all issues be?)

According to the documentation, a simple "Buy Now" button (using their canned code) should route me to their site and throw up a payment form. I'm trying to use the sandbox (sandbox.paypal.com) to avoid issues with the live site, which they say you're supposed to do (and I support the idea fully). However, when I try it, what I get a demand for login:

screen.jpg

Clicking the "PayPal Sandbox" link gives me the login screen for developer.paypal.com in the web viewer:

screen.jpg

Any attempt to log in through the web viewer launches the same page in the browser. I can log in there, but the web viewer continues to stare at me like a dummy.

I know folks have done this successfully, so I must be doing something really dumb at a basic level. Can some smart people point me in the right direction, please?

Mike

• 1. Re: Struggling with PayPal Integration
          jmrusch

I've occasionally had a problem where anything I try to do (usually related to creating or editing PayPal buttons) just throws me back to the PayPal log in page. Sometimes it will tease me by letting me do one or two things, then it throws me back to the log in page. Sometimes this happens in Sandbox, sometimes in regular PayPal.

Not sure if this is what you're experiencing, because my problems were never in the FM web viewer, but in Safari or FireFox. Each time this has happened, I've given up. But then the next day everything works fine. I once reported the problem to PayPal but the tech support was not helpful at all.

Because this always happens to me in the evenings (Pacific time zone), my guess is that there is something going on behind the scenes at PayPal (maybe maintenance?) that is causing the problem. Did you ever try again on a different day/time, and if so, did you continue to have the same problem?

• 2. Re: Struggling with PayPal Integration
            Mike_Mitchell

Hi, Julie. Thanks for the reply.

The behavior, unfortunately, has been consistent. Regardless of time of day or the day I try, I get the same behavior - but only in the sandbox. If I switch it to the production site, I can get it to give me the order page, along with the fields for the buyer to input his information. (Having other issues there - like not obeying the "cancel" URL and not allowing me to buy as a guest - but at least it gets past the login page.)

Have you ever been able to get this to work in the web viewer? What I'd like to do is embed the button code into the application (rather than pointing it back to my web site). I know this is possible; I've seen posts on the forum from people who have made it work. I just don't know HOW they made it work.    :-\

Mike

• 3. Re: Struggling with PayPal Integration
              jmrusch

Sorry, Mike. My limited experience with PayPal has not had anything to do with FileMaker. Given how frustrated I've been when working with PayPal, I'm grateful that none of my FileMaker clients are using it.

• 4. Re: Struggling with PayPal Integration
                Mike_Mitchell

Not encouraging.   :-\

But thanks for the input.

Mike

• 5. Re: Struggling with PayPal Integration
                  jormond

This is one of those areas that a plugin can save you countless hours of frustration. Andrew has a lot of expertise in the area of integrating PayPal with FM.  Check out his blog for some good tips, as well as his plugin.

http://www.angelleye.com/filemaker-paypal-plugin-released/

• 6. Re: Struggling with PayPal Integration
                    Mike_Mitchell

Josh -

You're my hero. Thanks a million. I've been banging my head against this for the last 3 days, with little success.

Mike