6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 1:42 PM by mikebeargie

Memory leak?

dloughlin

With my web application, when usage is very heavy (this time of the year), I have been having the publishing engine shut down. When I look at the processes, the fmscwpc process is approx. 3 times larger than it would normally be. I can get it back working, by stopping and restarting the FileMaker Server service. After doing that, the fmscwpc process returns to its normal size., and the users are good to go for an indeterminate amount of time, perhaps a day, or maybe more, before it happens again. I am using FMServer 12 AdvancedV3, and all the clients who are having this problem, are on Windows Server 2008 R2. Client access to the database is all through CWP.

When I look at the logs, I see no indication of why it shuts down. Mostly 401 errors, resulting from a find where no records were found.

I'm at a loss to figure out how to troubleshoot this.

Dennis Loughlin

• 1. Re: Memory leak?
          mikebeargie

Do you know if you have a session timeout set?

Sometimes in CWP if you don't have an exit session method, I've seen sessions pile up and freeze WPC

Also, I hope you've built in error catching and processing for 401. If it's that common an error I'm sure you have, but you made it sound suspect from your logs.

Lastly, I've also seen WPC lock upon large data sets, especially when lots of finds are involved. Is this a table with a few hundred, thousand, hundreds of thousand of records?

• 2. Re: Memory leak?
            mikebeargie

Actually I forgot filemaker addressed the session issue, and does not use persistent sessions. There is still a timeout setting though.

• 3. Re: Memory leak?
              Mike_Mitchell

Another thing to look at (besides the error handling Mike alluded to) is your Find request construction. How are you building your Find requests in the PHP code? Are they simple / complex? Are they executing against indexed fields? Number vs. text fields?

Narrowing down the circumstances can help you troubleshoot.

Mike

• 4. Re: Memory leak?
                Malcolm

Check the web server logs. We found that robots were responsible for triggering wildcard searches that coincided with WPE problems. We added appropriate instructions in a robots.txt file but a chinese search bot continues to ignore it.

Malcolm

When I look at the logs, I see no indication of why it shuts down. Mostly 401 errors, resulting from a find where no records were found.

I'm at a loss to figure out how to troubleshoot this.

• 5. Re: Memory leak?
                  dloughlin

Thanks to you all  for the input. You have given me places to look.

• 6. Re: Memory leak?
                    mikebeargie

That's a good tip, I didn't even think about this because all of my ODBC searches are behind closed doors anyways, as I use a different login system for CWP.