14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2017 8:10 AM by rivet

Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC

andy@wirelesssm.co.uk

I have recently taken on a MAC OS customer and can't seem to find a solution to the fact that when connected to them remotely via MAC screen Share, I cannot copy whole scripts or even script lines from my iMac to their Mac Mini Server. As a mainly PC user, I have no problem performing this from my Windows PC to Remote desktop connections and don't understand why. I have access to the clipboard between the machines as I can copy text from one to the other but not script steps/scripts. Just to check, I also tried copying from my iMac to other customers windows servers over Remote Desktop and get the same issue.

I am new to MAC OS so perhaps I am missing something?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
          Stephen Huston

Couldyou use the "Import Script" functionality of the FMP application to move the script between open files on the two machines?

The clipboard-based copy process between machines may have trouble if the special content of FM script steps is using an app-specific FMP clipboard to maintain script info;  app-specific clipboards may not be passing the info to the other machine's FMP clipboard. I haven't seen a lot of this problem, but have seen some apps fail to pass clipboard info to certain other apps on Mac, and would expect any app-specific clipboard operations to fail across machines.

• 2. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
            LyndsayHowarth

The icons at the top LHS of the window are for sending and receiving clipboard

screenshare.png

- Lyndsay

• 3. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
              LyndsayHowarth

Oh... I reread that...

So you are saying the clipboard is not copying if it is FM scripts...

I do this... I did it yesterday.

Mind you, if I were needing to do a lot of it I would copy the file over....

- Lyndsay

• 4. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                keywords

I agree with Stephen's comments. For example, even on a single machine I can't copy a script step/steps and paste these into a text document; FM script steps are not text and vv.

You have a couple of options, though:

1.     As already pointed out, you could import the script. If you then only want some steps to use in another script, copy those across (no clipboard issue there) and then delete the script.

2.     You can print the script, either to paper or as a pdf, say. Then you have it to refer to if that meets your need.

• 5. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                  BruceHerbach

Hi,

As others have already stated,  you can't copy and paste FileMaker script steps from FileMaker to another application.  You can do it if both scripts are open in FileMaker.  I this case FileMaker is facilitating the copy between two scripts open for editing.

My method for doing this has been to import the scripts from one file to another.

You can use the standard clipboard copy and paste to transfer calculation text between applications.

Bruce

• 6. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                    Malcolm

Import Script has the added advantage that it will generate a log file which records any errors that arise.

• 7. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                      andy@wirelesssm.co.uk

Import scripts won't work as the Script is sat on my Local Mac and I am connected to the Remote Mac using screen sharing rather than a VPN connection. The clipboard when connected remotely to another MAC ( Or Windows PC for that matter)  doesn't seem to work the way it does in Windows where I have no problems. Its really odd though as the clipboard works fine for some things as I can copy FM layout fields from my MAC to the remote Mac but for some reason not Scripts, script steps or for that matter fields in Manage database ...very odd.

Thanks for all the feedback, it has triggered a solution anyway as I think the easiest way is to create a new empty FM12 file called Scripts. I can then copy any scripts or new fields I need into that file, transfer the whole file to the remote PC and then copy as needed. Not nearly as easy as it is in Windows but it works

• 8. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                        BruceHerbach

Hi,

The issue you are running into is that you can't copy and paste script steps between applications.  Remote desktop is a seperate application so the script steps won't come accross.

I have been able to get around this by e-mailing a copy of a file with the script in it to my self and then on the remote Mac,  running Safari and pulling the copy of the file down to the remote desktop.  For this I'm using gmail and it's web interface,  but any web e-mail service will do or other file transfer method.  Once the file with the script is on the remote desktop,  then import the script from the file just downloaded through e-mail.  The copy you send can be a clone or zipped. So fairly small and of course deleted when you are done with it.

HTH

Bruce

• 9. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                          stefan_s

Hi Andy,

You have got a lot of advice already.

I would like to suggest using the application TeamViewer for remote access.

With that you can copy text between your machine and the remote machine. Mac-Mac, Mac-Win, Win-Mac.

And you can easily send and receive files without much hassle.

There are different versions, Full, QuickSupport and Server versions.

You can find them here: http://www.temaviewer.com

I have been using this for as long as there has been Mac versions available.

For occasional usage it should be free, but I recommend purchasing a license if you need to do more remote support with different customers.

And then you can create your own QuickSupport app to share with clients.

Licensing idea is, that the one performing support purchases the license, clients pay nothing for the QuickSupport or Server versions. It's up to you to charge for that.

Ive found it has made my life easier (I live in a rural area far away from most of my clients)

__

Stefan Schutt, Mouse Up, Finland

andy@wirelesssm.co.uk kirjoitti 11.4.2013 kello 17.01:

I have recently taken on a MAC OS customer and can't seem to find a solution to the fact that when connected to them remotely via MAC screen Share, I cannot copy whole scripts or even script lines from my iMac to their Mac Mini Server. As a mainly PC user, I have no problem performing this from my Windows PC to Remote desktop connections and don't understand why. I have access to the clipboard between the machines as I can copy text from one to the other but not script steps/scripts. Just to check, I also tried copying from my iMac to other customers windows servers over Remote Desktop and get the same issue.

• 10. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                            LyndsayHowarth

So if you could share your Scripts database so that it can be opened on your local machine AND on the Screenshared machine you could copy/paste on your local machine then switch to the remote machine and copy/paste there.

BUT of course your Scripts database will loose half of the detail if it refers to fields or layouts or objects so that when pasted it might be useless anyway.

- Lyndsay

• 11. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                              steve_ssh

There is some potential for doing sharing of FileMaker elements such as scripts and script steps using the Safari web browser.  You would need to be able to have both the remote and the local machine use Safari to load a web page.  The web page would then allow you to paste-and-store or copy-and-retrieve snippets of FileMaker elements such as scripts and script steps.  This is because the Safari pasteboard supports quite a lot of data formats, including formats that are used to copy and paste the FileMaker-specific data.

I have put together a sample file to illustrate what I am getting at.  I don't think that I would be comfortable using it to paste in schema changes, but I used to do a lot of this sort of thing with Script and Script-step copy/paste, using a slightly different approach, and it worked fine.

The sample file simply needs to be run in FileMaker and allowed to be hosted via Instant Web Publishing (from FileMaker Pro is fine).  I've included a read-me file to elaborate a bit.

[The demo file should be attached to this post.]

Best,

-steve

• 12. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                                mrwatson-gbs

fmWorkMate is the answer to your cross platform copying problems

indeed, it is your dream come true!

fmWorkMate_overview.png

Hello Andy, and all FileMaker developers who develop and support FileMaker databases cross-platform,

I am a brit living in Hamburg, Germany, remotely working for Günther Business Solutions GmbH, a major german FileMaker development house in the middle of Germany, some 4 hours away, doing development on our product 'advanter' on both Mac and Windows platforms as well as customer support of old and new installations, (in other words across FileMaker 12 thru FileMaker 9) - and to top it all using FileMaker Pro (+/-) Advanced in both english and german - not to mention swiss - languages.

So, believe me, copying and pasting FileMaker code between local and remote systems is my speciality!

And I too have suffered ;-) - whether via AppleRemote Desktop, Remote Desktop Connection, TeamViewer, or whatever. (@stefan_s: I haven't been able to copy FM objects with TV)

I have thus developed a toolbox, fmWorkMate, to make my - and your - lives easier, and to bring the pleasure back to global FileMaker development.

The main - and magic - tool, fmCheckMate, converts FileMaker objects that you have copied to the clipboard to XML - and (the clever bit:) it places the XML directly back to the clipboard ... which IS transferable cross platform ...

This means, if you install fmCheckMate on both local and remote systems, you only need to:

1. Copy your FileMaker objects out of the local database
                                2. Click the one 'convert clipboard' button in the local copy of fmCheckMate      - converts the clipboard to XML
                                3. Click the one 'convert clipboard' in the remote copy of fmCheckMate        - transfers & converts it back to FileMaker objects
                                4. Paste the FileMaker objects into the remote database

Voilà! That's ONLY TWO EXTRA CLICKS needed :-)

...and the same two clicks to transfer stuff back in the other direction!

...and it works with (virtually) anything you can copy in FileMaker.

...and because remote systems tend to be old & different & prone to breaking the things you are trying to paste in, there is also a tool, fmLogAnalyser, to help you find and fix the bugs, and prove you have correctly transfered the code.

...and because we tend to forget what we've changed (& of course not document those changes) there's another tool, fmDBAnalyser, to analyses the database (which doesn't need FMP Advanced) so you can quickly find out which objects are in the database.

...and because internal object IDs are so important when referencing fields, scripts, etc. cross-file (e.g. if you are transferring a complete new file-component of a multiple file solution) fmDBAnalyser delivers those too.

...and because you often need to rename things, fmCheckMate has a built in XML-Editor - with exceedingly powerful search-and-replace functions.

...and because on windows rdclip.exe often likes to screw up and not even transfer the clipboard text, you can set up fmCheckMate to alternatively transfer the clipboard by file - by automatically saving to & loading from a local text file, fmxmlsnippet.xml.

...and because fmCheckMate converts the FileMaker objects into XML (fmxmlsnippets) - and because XML IS SO MALEABLE and XSLT is so COOL - I have also developed a (mind-boggling) XSLT library to transform and do things to your FileMaker objects in ways you never imagined! :-]

...like automatically converting old hierarchical If ( ... ) / Else / If ( ... ) / End (If) ... scripts into flat Else If ( ...) / Else If ( ...) / scripts.

...and because you may be transferring between different languages there's an (at least a partially working) XSLT function to "internationalise" your script code.

...and because we developers have all moved on and are devloping new functions in FileMaker 12 that our customers would also like to have in their not-upgradeable FileMaker 11 solutions, there is an XSLT function (still somewhat "beta") to convert between FileMaker 12 code and FileMaker 11 code to avoid pasting-errors.

...even FileMaker Layout objects! (to some extent --- beta!)

...and because we often programme in patterns, there's a bunch of text tools for code generation too.

...not to mention that because scripting can sometimes be somewhat dull (at least, black & white) - and because Christian Schmitz of MonkeybreadSoftware has made it possible (at least, on the Mac) with his brilliant MBS Plugin to display scripts and calculations with syntax coloring - I have made another give-away tool, fmSyntaxColorizer, which 'colorizes' your scripts & calculations editor WITH JUST ONE CLICK.

...it's not just pretty - it helps you find code, bugs and typos FAST!

...in fact the whole of fmWorkMate is optimised for RAPID DEVELOPMENT

...and, and, and, and ... and becaue I have been sitting on this thing for far too long, and I would very much like it to be of benefit to the whole FileMaker community, it's time for it to come out of the closet!

So, ...

• Tip: To best use fmCheckMate for transferring objects cross-platform, as described here, use the setup wizard to set it to "convert" mode.

I hope that answers your question - and makes your day!

Happy, happy File-Making! :-]

Greetings from Germany

MrWatson

...and let me know how you get on :-) russell@mrwatson.de

---------------

P.S. Rave now.

• 13. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                                  MarcelMore

Hi Russel,

thank you so much!

It took me about another year of suffering from broken Apple Remote Desktop Support on FM Objects until someone pointed me towards your brilliant solution...

Will check it out ASAP ;-)

regards

Marcel

• 14. Re: Copy Scripts or Script lines from Mac to Remote PC
                                    rivet

Here is another possible option.

Here is what you need on both machines:

- Textmate (TM)

- TextMate bundle

- Any remote app (RA) that can share clipboard: Apple Remote Desktop, Teamviewer etc.

Steps:

1. LOCAL MACHINE
                                    2. FMP: copy any FMP object script, table, layout object etc.
                                    3. TM: Bundles / Filemaker / Get Snippet from Clipboard. (opt+cmd+b)
                                    4. TM: Select All, and copy.
                                    5. RA: transfer clipboard.
                                    6. REMOTE MACHINE
                                    7. TM:  paste clipboard.
                                    8. TM: Bundles / Filemaker / Load Snippet to Clipboard. (cmd+b).
                                    9. FMP: paste.