10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 7:24 PM by steve_ssh

Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp

taylorsharpe

I have a development server, which I have upgraded to FMSA 12v4, that I also upgraded to Java 17 and it seemed to go fine, but it won't open JNLPs. I've uninstalled Java and reinstalled it to no avail. I've made certain the "Open With" is set to "Java Web Start.app". But when I start the admin conole, it immediately shuts down. I even tried changing the Java security to no avail. I remember someone on here said something about removing a preference somewhere to fix this problem. I'm able to by pass this problem right now just by using other computers to log in, but would like to get it working on this machine locally. Thanks for any assistance.

• 1. Re: Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp
          psijmons

If this is a mac, open control panels > Java > General tab, settings button, delete files button

• 2. Re: Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp
            taylorsharpe

Yes, you are correct, I am on a Mac. 

I just tried your suggestion to delete all files including the checkbox for applications/applets and it still is not working.  I remember doing something like this before and it working, so thanks for the suggestion.  Any other suggestions. 

• 3. Re: Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp
              MicheleOlson

Taylor,

I have same issue, which I have not resolved. Upgraded to 12.0v4 w/Java 17 and Admin Console _ AND JAVA_ no longer seem to work correctly on that Mac. Cannot view the Java Control panel to delete the files - it does not display - just sits blank on the screen.

I can access this server from another Mac, but...

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but if I find a way to resolve this I will post back.

Michele

• 4. Re: Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp
                RonSmithMD

Try moving the window and see if it won't redraw. Mine does, but it seems to be an OS 10.8.3 issue more than anything since I've not upgraded to 12v4 yet.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 5. Re: Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp
                  taylorsharpe

I never get a window to come up, so there isn't something to move around.  I have had the problem you described when remoting into a server, but not on the same machine.  But thanks for the suggestion. 

• 6. Re: Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp
                    MicheleOlson

Thanks for the suggestion, Ron. Moving the Java Control Panel window did not cause redraw, but minimizing it and then maximizing it does!

But... none of the buttons on the control panel window work except Cancel and OK. Clicking tabs (Update, Java, Security, Advanced) or buttons (About.., Network Settings..., Settings..., View...) produce no results.

For the FMS Admin Console on the same computer, a window does appear (Starting application...) which is blank, followed quickly by another (Security Information) which also is blank. The java applet goes no further at this point.

I've removed every pref. I could think of, but nothing changed. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Java 17 with no luck.

I'm just hoping someone else thinks of something I haven't and posts it.

Thanks.

Michele

• 7. Re: Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp
                      RonSmithMD

Java <=> POJ

Why FileMaker would mar their wonderful software creation with such substandard, hack-prone code is beyond me. But we're stuck.

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

• 8. Re: Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp
                        RonSmithMD

This is exactly the reason I held off on upgrading to 12v4. I was already having problems with the window redraw after the OS 10.8.3 update was installed. Looks like this has gone from bad to worse.

I would so prefer command line to JAVA personally if they would just do a complete api for it. That doesn't exist does it where you can do everything from command line instead of JAVA_POJ?

• 9. Re: Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp
                          MicheleOlson

Ok. I have more information to add.

The issue is *sort of* resolved on my FMServer machine. I can get the Admin Console to display and I can get the Java Control panel to display.

The technique is to move the panel or the login window for the Admin Console below the dock at the bottom of the screen, pause briefly, then bring it up on the screen and release. Each time a selection is made or a button is pushed or an entry is made, you must drag the window below the dock briefly, pause, then return it to the location you want on the screen. This forces the screen to refresh and you can then make the next selection.

Using this slow technique I was able to see the Java Cache Viewer and found two FileMaker, Inc applications installed and running: one for the previous version of FMS and one for the updated version of FMS [12.0v4]. I thought I had been very systematic and careful in removing all old .jnlp files; evidentially, I had not. (Note: I did uninstall FMS 12.0v3 prior to update to 12.0v4.)

I compared the Java cache files between the two. (Path User>Library>Application Support>Oracle>Java>Deployment>cache>6.0) Inside of 6.0 there are 71 items, most of them folders; within some of the folders there are documents of various types. Comparing the two machines, the folders used were not the same, but I don't believe that is an issue.

On the remote Mac, I cleared the Java cache through the control panel, and watched the documents within the described folders disappear. At the same time, the alias to the FMS Admin Console launch on the desktop - also disappeared. I generated a new one, launched the FMS Admin Console and watched some of the folders within 6.0 fill with documents and the FMS12_10.0.1.113 (my server IP address) app appear in the bundles folder within 6.0.

OK. Cool. So now I sort of understand what's happening when the Admin Console app is created.

On the server Mac, I repeated the process. Set the 6.0 folder so I could see its *action* and with the technique I found above (moving window below dock and back up), I cleared the cache (all cleared), then generated a new .jnlp file and launched FMS Admin Console on the server Mac. ~~~ one more bit of difference between the 2 machines - on this one the desktop alias cannot be created ~~~ The 6.0 folders filled with documents (not the same folders, BTW, as on the remote Mac) and the console came to life - with the same results as before: the window won't display without the up/down technique.

(Don't you just love this stuff? I do. Felt like I was eavesdropping on brain surgery )

I don't have all or really many of the answers to the situation, but I do have a work-around and perhaps a direction to look for what is the *one* corrupted element that is holding back the screen refresh.

Hope this is helpful to some of you who have the same issue, and perhaps - those with knowledge of Java can fill in the gaps and give us another clue to the resolution.

Michele

• 10. Re: Java 17 not opening admin_console_webstart.jnlp
                            steve_ssh

Hi Taylor,

If you have the .jnlp file, but launching it via standard means is failing, you might try launching the .jnlp file from the Terminal and seeing if any useful error output is revealed when you do so.

There is no guarantee that you will see anything useful to help diagnose the situation, but I don't see how it could hurt to try.

You would do this as follows:

- Open up a Terminal window

- CD to the directory containing the .jnlp file

- Run the command:  javaws ./admin_console_webstart.jnlp   (Assuming that "admin_console_webstart" is the name of the .jnlp file)

All other things working properly, this should be equivalent to double-clicking on the .jnlp file, with the distinction that you get to see any log output that happens as WebStart tries to launch the application.

Alternatively, you could try one more launch via double-clicking the .jnlp file, and then opening up the Console application (assuming there still in one in the latest version of OSX) and peruse system log entries for anything coming from something named com.apple.JavaWebStart or some similar thing.

Best regards,

-steve

p.s. 

Here is a reference on launching a .jnlp file from the command line:

http://javatechniques.com/blog/launching-java-webstart-from-the-command-line/