5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 7:11 AM by mcrip

Problem seeing file list on FM Server

mcrip

Last week I had a client report they couldn't see the server on their laptop at home. We tried a couple of trouble shooting tips over the phone without any resolution and tagged it as a problem to look into next time they were back in the office. I got ahold of the laptop this morning and I've pretty much run through every possible combination I can think of without any resolution. Looking at the possibility of wiping the machine and re-installing from an image to see if that makes any difference.

Laptop is an older Macbook running Mac OS 10.6.8. It has Filemaker Pro 12v.03. The server is Filemaker Server Advanced 12.v03. Under File Display Filter the "List All databases" option is checked.

When I plug the laptop into the local network via a cable the server shows up under local hosts but when you select it no files show up. I checked under Favorites and the "Show all available files for this host" is checked. I have tried selecting the Show only these files and manually entering some of the databse names but it will not connect to those.

I tried deleting the preference file and adding the server back in as a favorite. That didn't resolve it.

I tried re-installing the Filemaker Pro software. That didn't resolve it.

In terminal I can connect to the server with both the dns name and ip address using traceroute -p 5003 [servername]

I don't have another laptop that old, but none of the other desktop or lapops have a problem connecting either via cable or wireless. Which is why I'm leaning toward a wipe and re-install. But I thought I should see if there were any other suggested solutions first.

• 1. Re: Problem seeing file list on FM Server
          mikebeargie

A few things to try, but it sounds like you went through a lot already

What about;

1) Was the user previously able to connect to a database (or is it a new thing)

2) What recent updates were performed (server or client side) that could possibly conflict. IE Java is a popular suspect amongst OSX problems.

3) What are your other, functioning, users connecting with (OS, hardware), any suspect differences?

4) Can you update to 10.7 or 10.8 to see if that works?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem seeing file list on FM Server
            gsokolsky

It sounds like there is an incorrect saved userID/password for that Filemaker server in the user's keychain.  Go into the Keychain Access application while logged in as that user (I think it's in the /Applications/Utilities folder in 10.6). Search for "Filemaker" and delete any keychain entries you find. 

When you reconnect to the server with Filemaker Pro, it should prompt you for credentials.

• 3. Re: Problem seeing file list on FM Server
              LyndsayHowarth

... one of the downsides of keychain...

Good 'thinking outside the box' George.

- Lyndsay

• 4. Re: Problem seeing file list on FM Server
                mikebeargie

yeah, I'm not primarily a mac user ironically since we develop in PC at work (mac at home though). Didn't even think of looking in the keychain, as we don't normally train users to save their passwords in any way.

Thanks for the tip George!

• 5. Re: Problem seeing file list on FM Server
                  mcrip

Just a follow up on the problem ...

There was nothing in the keychain to cause the problem (not sure how that would have prevented files from being displayed).

As far as I can tell the laptop was in pretty much in sync with other machines in the office so there shouldn't have been any differences.  Since they are there for staff to use while traveling it's not very clear if there was a previous problem with this machine or not.

Anyway, wiping the drive and restoring from an image solved the problem and it's working fine.  Of course, I hate to give up without figuring out where the problem was, but it took far less time to re-image the laptop than I spent troubleshooting the problem already.