It works fine in Browse mode but I am getting an error 102 ("Field is Missing") in Find Mode.
I did not see anything in the documentation to indicate that this script step only works in certain modes.
(FMPA12 on iMac, Lion OS, local file).
The field/object in my original test was not a global. I tested against a global field/object and results mirror yours.
It makes sense that it does not work on a global in Find mode since you can't search on global fields.
220 Gaines Oak Way
Suwanee, GA 30024
Voice: (678) 313-5604
FileMaker Certified Developer
BTW, in Inspector, the field (a drop down list) is modifiable in Find Mode.
Intertesting, I could have sworn you were wrong. But I tried it myself and the Go To Object does not work in Find Mode for me either (Mac OS X 10.8.3, FMPA 12v3). Go To Field works, but Go To Object does not in Find Mode. Hmmmmmm
To me this quasi-makes-sense.
If you think about how filemaker treats objects (vs. fields), it would make sense that objects are inaccessible in find mode, as essentially, objects are not fields in the base sense of the definition (although I realize that fields can indeed be objects).
Is there an issue with using Go To Field, instead of Go To Object? Or was this just an observation?
It works for me in Find mode - Mac OS X 10.7.4; FMPA 12v3.
Well this is interesting and a bit strange. I may have the answer, but first here is what I tried:
1. Added another field to the layout (in the header). Go To Object worked in Find Mode.
2. Removed formatting from that field. Go To Object worked in Find Mode.
3. Made that field a Drop Down. Go To Object worked in Find Mode.
4. Chaged that field to a global. Go To Object DID NOT work in Find Mode!
Taylor and Lee, were your fields globals?
Mine was not a global and I was working in a classic layout.
Thanks Mike. I could indeed use Go To Field.
The field in question is a global field. The global field is in multiple tables as it is part of the relationship definition.
Using Go To Object, all of those fields can have the same object name, so when I call the script it is context independent (the object name is hard coded in the script).
I could, however, use Go To Field and Set Field by Name.
Interesting. I'm on the cool gray theme, making modifications to it.
Thanks Lee. That does indeed make sense.
I faced the same problem and I arrived to this post. In the meanwhile, I have find a workaround. If someone is still interested, I will prepare a more detailed description.
Retrieving data ...