3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2013 12:06 PM by rgordon

Downloading a zipped FMP12 file to GO

rgordon

If I email a zipped .fmp12 file (example:demo1.fmp12.zip), I get a choice of what App to open the attachment in. I select FileMaker Go and it works fine. If I try to download the zipped file from my website, I get an option to Open the file in FileMaker Go or I can select Open in... If I select FileMaker Go the zipped file will consistent open in another program that can handle zipped file. If I try the Open In ... option, FileMaker Go is not an option. Am I doing something wrong or is that just the way it is?

• 1. Re: Downloading a zipped FMP12 file to GO
          AlanStirling

Hi rgordon

In the situation you describe, I use 'GoodReader'.

It opens and displays the contents of most documents, unzips files and has a folder structure.

So when you open your zipped file from the email, it will offer GoodReader as 'Open in ...' and then you can unzip the file.

In the manage files area of GoodReader, it has it's own 'Open in ...', , which for an unzipped .fp7/.fmp12 file will offer FileMaker Go (Correct version).

It makes file manipulation very easy!

But it can't get at files that have already been allocated to another App.

I wish I did have shares in the company.

Best wishes - Alan Stirling, London UK.

Alan Stirling Technology Ltd, 135 Lisson Grove, London NW1 6UP

+44 (0) 20 7724 2456 - alan@ast.fm - www.ast.fm.

FileMaker Certified Developer for versions 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.

• 2. Re: Downloading a zipped FMP12 file to GO
            rgordon

Alan, thank you for the reply.  I know how to deal with the file if it is zipped but what I'm currently worried about are the 100s of clients that might download the file and not know how to deal with it.  I currently place the unzipped file on the the website and it downloads nicely.  I had hoped to use a zipped file because it will download fast.  Mail on the iPad handles the zipped file correctly but Safari will open it in an other App even though it gives you the option to Open it in FileMaker Go.  I can still leave the file as unzipped on the website and Safari will handle it properly.

Alan stated "So when you open your zipped file from the email, it will offer GoodReader as 'Open in ...' and then you can unzip the file."  If you leave the .fmp12 extension on the zipped file name (example:demo1.fmp12.zip), there is no need to mess with another program.  Safari will extract the zipped file directly to FileMaker Go.  If you remove the .fmp12 from the zipped file name, then you will need another program like Goodreader or iZip.

• 3. Re: Downloading a zipped FMP12 file to GO
              rgordon

After a little more experimenting, I've come to the conclusion that the zipped file will not extract automatically to FM GO when downloaded with Safari. Another app is needed to unzip the file. Still not sure why Mail can handle the zip properly but not Safari.