1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2013 6:59 AM by LyndsayHowarth

Dropdowns stop working after pdf printing

dtremmel

I've run across an obscure issue that is affecting some of my users. Since my research hasn't turned up anything, I suspect it might be a bug (or at least an incompatibility), but thought I'd post it here to see if anyone else has seen this.Since this issue only occurs on Windows, my descriptions will be from working on Windows 7 and FileMaker 12.

I have a database with pdfs in container fields in FileMaker 12; the files are stored externally using secure storage. The pdfs are displayed in a smallish field on a layout, and when you click on that field a script opens a separate (larger and expandable) document-style window showing only the container field, which allows the user to interact with the pdf tools that show up in container fields in Windows. If (and only if) they elect to print the document, the dropdown menus stop working on any window in the database. This includes dropdowns that have value lists with values determined by relationships, and ones that have custom values entered. Tab controls, buttons, radio buttons, and checkboxes all work, but no dropdown menus work, even on newly opened windows showing different layouts. I've even opened a totally unrelated database when this is happening, and dropdown menus don't work in that database either.

Has anyone else run across this issue? The only thing I could think of to try was to run the Refresh Window script step, but that does not help. Dropdown functionality is only restored if the user clicks out of FileMaker and then returns to FileMaker (or quits FileMaker completely).

• 1. Re: Dropdowns stop working after pdf printing
          LyndsayHowarth

Interesting! These are just my ponderings. I have no solutions... sorry.

So when they say print... they are actually printing from a FileMaker layout.... rather than opening the PDF and printing.

Previously I have experienced problems with Windows and pdfs that was essentially an active window / active program thing. FileMaker might appear active and respond like it is mostly active but it is not until you completely leave and return that everything becomes active. Windows has never managed PDFs well because the readers are not as integrated into the OS as on the Mac.... so the external PDF reader is used in the printing process and not properly being released for FileMaker to become fully active again.

Are you scripting the whole print process including stuff like preventing abort and suppressing error messages?

Have you tried forcing the active window by selecting and bringing to front with eg a go to object...?

Have you got a halt script or exit script at the very end? It may be that your script has not completed... (who knows?)

Could it be there are preferences for the PDF app that could effecting printing.

On a Mac, I might use Applescript to reactivate FMP if nothing native in FileMaker would work... but I would exhast everything FIleMaker first.

- Lyndsay