fmpros

Very frustrated...

Discussion created by fmpros on Apr 13, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 by listen2earth

Has anyone else had trouble with the ER diagram module in FMP?

I had a crash on my production files just before release, which may or may not have been my fault, and I came to the conclusion that I could not trust the files so I spent two days rebuilding the system with fresh files.

Fine. But near the end I was re-creating the ER diagram so I could drop in the fields from the older layouts and, just simply moving a small group of TO's, the system crashed hard losing many hours of work. Re-opening,

things did not work right. So, I'm back to square one with my re-build... can't trust the new files either.

It seems like the ERD is a weak link... if you don't treat it with extra care it will bite you. Also, I'm think I'm going blind after watching the thing re-draw itself everytime I click on it. Very irritating.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know. Do I have to close out the ERD with every small change, then re-open? Just to be sure it saved everything? I have no choice now but to spend another day or two recreating

with clean files. Is there a trick? I would think such an important module would be somewhat more robust.

Am I wrong in thinking a production file should not go out if it has had a crash? Is FMP12 stronger with the auto recovery on opening? The recover log just had a mess of 'file block not in the free list' messages. Can I really

trust a file after something like that?

Thanks for any insight. I deliberately waited a few hours and a bottle of nice red to cool down before ranting.

Bill

Outcomes