7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2013 10:26 PM by milkman

Simple script problem

milkman

Hi,

Im trying to write a quick database for small business to reconcile their books and categorize expenses for tax purposes. I have all of the fields defined and am writing scripts to copy data from an AMOUNT field and post it to its corresponding expense field. I am not a Script wiz. Anybody got a min. to steer me in the right direction? Here is what i tried first...

loop

if[table::Category = "Sales"

Copy [select; Table::Amount]

Paste [select; Table::Sales]

Go to record/request/page [Next]

End If

End Loop

My problems with it are:

It will only work if i select the first record that has the word Sales in it and then execute the script.

It will stop after it gets to the last consecutive record that has the word sales in it. so if there is an item further down the page that is designated for sales, i would have to run it again.

My goal:

I have to categorize all of the items that small business needs for categories. I don't know if it can be written in one script to make it work or not.

I have always written simpler databases for people that do not require a lot of scripting.

Is there a simple way to make this work? I'd love to post it up for other small business people to use.

It might save somebody time. maybe i could have the data automatically copy the data when the value list for Category is utilized....hmmmm

help...

I use it for my prep but thought if i didnt have to copy and paste into the field over to the right, i could save a ton of time. lol, lazyness is the mother of invention....

• 1. Re: Simple script problem
          rgordon

Your go to record step is in the wrong place.  Also don't use copy and paste.  Try:

Go to record [first]

Loop

If[table::category="Sales"]

Set field[table::Sales;table::Amount]

End if

Go to record/request/page [next;Exit after last]

End loop

• 2. Re: Simple script problem
            milkman

Yes, yes, yes yes,yes!  Wow that is so much simpler!  AND IT WORKS!

That set field command is really nice.  I've never used that before either.

Do you think after I make every script using this format that I can make a master script to execute them all at once?

• 3. Re: Simple script problem
              rgordon

You cam also eliminate the If and EndIf statements with the following Set Field:

Set field[table::Sales; If(table::category="Sales";table::Amount;table::sales)

There is no need to build separate scripts and then a master script to run the separate scripts.  Just build one script with all of the steps built into the one the one script.  If you use the Set Field example in this post, your script can be fairly short.

• 4. Re: Simple script problem
                milkman

So, I'd set them up in tandem kinda like this?

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

Loop

Set field[table::Sales; If(table::category="Sales";table::Amount;table::sales)

Set field[table::Loan; If(table::category="Loan";table::Amount;table::Loan)

Set field[table::Draw; If(table::category="Draw";table::Amount;table::draw)

Set field[table::COG'S; If(table::category="COG'S";table::Amount;table::cogs)

Go to Record/Request/Page [Last]

End loop

and just let it go?

There has to be some formatting changes i think.  i could not get it to run correctly.

• 5. Re: Simple script problem
                  rgordon

Let her rip!

• 6. Re: Simple script problem
                    rgordon

Should be Go to record/request/page [next;Exit after last]  not Go to Record/Request/Page [Last]

• 7. Re: Simple script problem
                      milkman

Yup!  That made it work.  It takes a little while, but it really gets everything pasted into the fields where it needs to go.  I should clean this up, make it easy to use, put some instructions in it and post it somewhere so if anybody wants it they could have it.

Thank you for helping me!

T