10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 8:54 AM by LaRetta

Export field matching rant

dubl

Every time I have to set up an export or an import, my gut squeezes in frustration. I think the only way that FileMaker will help us out in the woefully inadequate interface, is for everyone at FM to set up 10 exports, each with 500 fields, that do not have matching names. THEN I guess someone will realise what we have to go through. At least in previous versions, we were able to click-drag to de-select fields - now we have to click on each and every field, then drag - which then pushes another around and on and on we go. I realise this post is just a rant, but perhaps if we raise the noise level about it, it might be escalated.

Anyway, now that I have that off my chest, on to more serious things.

Lovely program, that FileMaker, pity about the export thing!

• 1. Re: Export field matching rant
          davehob

I quite agree.  Obviously there are 3rd party options that make life easier, but all cost significant money, and FM really should do some work on this very clunky part of their excellent product.

• 2. Re: Export field matching rant
            dubl

Dave

What 3rd party software?

Cheers

Steve Silansky

TaxiCab Manager                                        

Taxi Fleet Management Software

www.taxicabmanager.com     

m: 0414 555 195

• 3. Re: Export field matching rant
              davehob

Hi Steve,

RefreshFM comes highly recommended (http://www.goya.com.au/refreshfm), but is way beyond the budget that we have for such things.

Dave.

• 4. Re: Export field matching rant
                colins

Hear, Hear.

Filemaker's import interface is well beyond it's sell by date and requires a whole new way of addressing the problem - a brand, spanking new interface. Trouble is that FM12's focus is more on style over functionality - and has been for sometime now.

As for RefreshFM, $499 for a single licence would take some justification. And anyway, why should a user have to acquire another piece of software to finesse something that is part of FMP, albeit very poorly executed.

Hmm, now I'm beginning to rant...

CS

• 5. Re: Export field matching rant
                  LyndsayHowarth

S,

I agree.  I have not done a  lot of importing in 12 until this week. Old tricks don't work.

As much as I'd like to line the pockets of Goya... I shouldn't have to.

I did a job in 1993 which would be much more difficult with the tweaks to the interface they have done.

Sent from my iPad

Lyndsay Howarth

11th Hour Group Pty Ltd

• 6. Re: Export field matching rant
                    intex

I feel reminded of my own post regarding imports ...

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/103204#103204

• 7. Re: Export field matching rant
                      colins

It is true, we here are repaeating intex's post, which (apologies) I missed. However, maybe if we say it sufficient times it will come true and Filemaker will create a completely new import/export interface. Although, I personally have no problem with exporting.

• 8. Re: Export field matching rant
                        fmp

For importing, what I usually do is a two-part process: 1) A loop to create a new record and set its foreign key id to the Nth record of the data source table's primary key id, utilizing a global to whatever field relationship; and 2) a loop to run through the new records using Set Field on all the fields I need, utilizing a foreign key to primary key relationship. Slower but requires no maintenance in the Import Matching dialog going forward. Same concept for exporting.

• 9. Re: Export field matching rant
                          intex

No reason to apologize - sometimes things need to be repeated before they get heard.

• 10. Re: Export field matching rant

Dubl said, "I think the only way that FileMaker will help us out in the woefully inadequate interface, is for everyone at FM to set up 10 exports, each with 500 fields, that do not have matching names. THEN I guess someone will realise what we have to go through."

Indeed!  And they should set up large, anchor-buoy solution which ends up with long table occurrence names and then try to export only certain fields!  They will not be able to read the field names to select them because ( at least on windows ) the dialog will not expand.  The only way to read the field name on the source side is to select a field and place it on the export side then delete it again once it is clear it is not the field you want.

Two simple things would at least help in mapping ... button to unselect all and ability to sort.  But they should at least restore to functionality which existed in 11.  Thank you for bringing it up again.  :-)